Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2004, 09:35 AM   #1

Care of plastic rear window

Having driven a 356 Cab for 25 years, I have one critical tip on the care and feeding of the plastic rear window;

BEFORE LOWERING THE TOP, wipe the outside of the window with a moist towel (paper is O.K.) and PAT dry. Don't wipe it to dry (although wiping may be faster, I find that it can scratch).

Recently I replaced the 24 year old Cab top. Although the fabric was faded and torn, the rear window was in good enough shape to see through (Note that mine is a late 356 Cabriolet and thus has a zip-down rear window-a little different than the Boxster). I never used any type of plastic cleaner on it.

It appears that the dust (it's there even if hard to see-just look on the paper towel after you wet wipe) acts like sandpaper on the window, and really does a job on it.

Good luck. Tom

tlc356sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 04:38 AM   #2

That is a good suggestion, but who the hell has the time to do that every time you lower the top?

I agree that dust and dirt on the plastic window is going to cause those scratches, but realistically you are not always going to have moist paper towels with you to do this. Besides, I find this too anal. So you get a few scratches in the window, you can always restore it to rather decent appearance with Plexus.

BTW, why only wipe the outside then, surely there is also dust on the inside of the window.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 01:43 PM   #3

You probably want to remember that free advice is worth what you pay for it. The suggestion was offered for those who may hope to avoid having to use Plexus. Regarding inside dust, it doesn't appear to be a problem-just think about how much dirt gets on the outside of your car, such as paint, top, rear window, vrs. the inside.
tlc356sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 03:07 PM   #4

Well i dont know about the rest of you but it seems the inside window gets almost as dirty as the outside window since I often have the windows open the inside rear plastic is subjected to simular abuse. I actually just ordered some Plexus and am gonna try it out on both sides of the window. I will let you all know how it goes.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:21 AM   #5

I use Plexus myself and have had great luck with it. Regarding the grit issue, I suggest that you use the Plexus after some other form of rinse-off cleaning... for the exterior, I just do the Plexus application after a car wash. For the interior, I use a spray bottle filled with water and a cotton towel "turned frequently". Then I follow with the Plexus via the "soak the applicator cloth and wipe dry with soft cotton towel" method. Applying Plexus without removing the grit prior to the "rub-in" could be counter-productive...

I've noticed several folks around here using small pillows or towels inserted as they lower the top to help protect against scratches from the window rubbing as the top is stowed... seems like another good possible solution to the grit issue between washings.

Last edited by donv; 02-28-2004 at 09:25 AM.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote