Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #1

Blisten Coilovers

I was thinking of replacing my stock suspension on my 2000 2.7L Boxster. The folks at the shop are really big on Blisten coilovers, but they are expensive. They said they retail for 2300.00 and they could get them for 1800.00. That is still too expensive for me, anyone know the best place to go for good pricing on them, thanks,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:13 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Just put on the RoW 030 kit. I beleive Sunset sells the front and rear shocks/springs/sway bars kit for $921.

F.Y.I. installs for about $800-$1k plus an alignment.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 10-26-2006 at 01:19 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
I was thinking of replacing my stock suspension on my 2000 2.7L Boxster. The folks at the shop are really big on Blisten coilovers, but they are expensive. They said they retail for 2300.00 and they could get them for 1800.00. That is still too expensive for me, anyone know the best place to go for good pricing on them, thanks,

Ed

My $0.02 is if you aren't doing a lot of driving events you could easily get away with lowering springs and struts which will give you a firmer ride and lower it a little and keep the price down. In my opinion, the only advantage of the coilover design is they typically couple the spring with an adjustable strut. The adjustable strut would be nice to switch from street to track, but is a lot of $$$. The adjutable ride height seems like a waste because who really adjusts their ride height that much (other than die hard racers) and everytime you adjust it you need to have it realigned.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:28 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I've seen the Bilstein PSS9 Sell for as little as $1500. I paid $1800 for mine.

Sammy is right though, if your not tracking your car you can really get away with just springs and shocks. If you want it for the ride height adjustment is pretty useless, I find it a pain in the ass to adjust. If only the had a system that can be computer adjusted from inside the car, now that would be sweet.

Look around if your really interested in the Coilovers, there are always pretty good deals out there. I definitely wouldn't pay the MSRP of 2300.

Oh and for the install Blinkwatt is right, its gonna run you close to 1k.

James
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:28 PM   #5

Roll Over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
My $0.02 is if you aren't doing a lot of driving events you could easily get away with lowering springs and struts which will give you a firmer ride and lower it a little and keep the price down. In my opinion, the only advantage of the coilover design is they typically couple the spring with an adjustable strut. The adjustable strut would be nice to switch from street to track, but is a lot of $$$. The adjutable ride height seems like a waste because who really adjusts their ride height that much (other than die hard racers) and everytime you adjust it you need to have it realigned.
That's good to know, I will not be tracking the car much, I just would like a little tighter suspension with out as much body roll. Speaking of rolling.... Will the Boxster ever roll over with hard corning or will its low center of gravity just let the wheels break and slide?

Ed

:dance:

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
That's good to know, I will not be tracking the car much, I just would like a little tighter suspension with out as much body roll. Speaking of rolling.... Will the Boxster ever roll over with hard corning or will its low center of gravity just let the wheels break and slide?

Ed

:dance:
A Boxster would be extremely difficult to roll without some really, really, really stupid driving errors or a change in driving surface. NickCats can confirm that I have a tendency to spin my car during autocrosses and never once have I ever been concerned about flipping.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:58 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
A Boxster would be extremely difficult to roll without some really, really, really stupid driving errors or a change in driving surface. NickCats can confirm that I have a tendency to spin my car during autocrosses and never once have I ever been concerned about flipping.

I've tried it doesn't work, it just spins....I even tried giving it commands like "roll over" and she just wouldnt budge.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Amen to that, brother ! I did not think it was possible to do a 360 in a Boxster on dry land, but call me a pig's uncle if I did not witness it with my own two eyes !

One of the coolest things I've seen all year

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote