Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2006, 06:31 AM   #1

Cool Thump sound under hard right/left truns

I have a loud thump when I make a tight right or left turn. Any Ideas? Besides that the suspension is tight as a drum.

jk0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:38 AM   #2

Can you give a little more information such as year, mileage, etc? Any wheel, tire, brakes mods?

Also, is it just turning or is it when you hit bumps? I had a pretty serious thump but it was primarily when I hit bumps (it was really noticeable when turning AND hitting bumps).
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #3

Cool

Car has 24K miles 2002 Boxster S. The thump sounds only when you make a hard quick left of right turn, sounds like a bowling ball was in the front trunk. Nothing is noticeable loose and everything feels tight in the suspension. It does not make any sounds going over bumps
Old 10-24-2006, 09:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk0001
Car has 24K miles 2002 Boxster S. The thump sounds only when you make a hard quick left of right turn, sounds like a bowling ball was in the front trunk. Nothing is noticeable loose and everything feels tight in the suspension. It does not make any sounds going over bumps
For starters, take the bowling ball out of the front trunk...

You're probably going to have to do some detective work on this one. Just because something isn't "noticeable loose" doesn't meant it is torqued down properly. If the suspension feels tight it makes me think it's in the stabilizer bar (most noticeable when turning) or it's something loose in the trunk (maybe the battery tray or something has come loose underneath the plastic cover). Check for loose bolts at the rod ends and any mounting brackets/bushings. Make sure you torque the nuts to the proper settings.

The quick and dirty method is to take a rubber mallet and start tapping firmly on the suspension (with the front in the air) components and listen for an abnormal noise (everything should sound solid as a rock). This is how I found one of my stabilizer bar nuts had backed off at one of the links. I think if it was steering related you would have other very noticeable symptoms hence why I would focus on the suspension. Since it happens both in left and right turns I am leaning towards the primary component for transitioning weight for both turning directions (this of course is if you don't find the bowling ball).
Old 10-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #5

BTW - I drive a 2002 Boxster S with 17k miles.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:10 AM   #6

Check these two things:

1. Check to see that your spare tire and tool kit are tightly secured in the front trunk. If either is loose, they will make a thud when you brake hard, accellerate hard or make hard turns.

2. Pop off your battery cover and try to slide it side to side. If it moves at all, the battery bracket (which screws into the bottom part, not the top as you would expect) is loose or missing.

I do hope it is one of these two things because they're a very easy fix, and might even be totally free of charge.

Don't worry, I take donations through paypal for my online advice Really I do.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:48 AM   #7

Talking

That battery idea sounds real close to what it could be. I'll check it out when I get home tonight. Lets hope it is. I'll keep you all posted and thanks for the help.

Last edited by jk0001; 10-24-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #8

Wink

And the answer is "Battery" the genius who put the battery in last did not bolt it down so it does not move around. Thanks all for your help now I can sleep at night. If we ever meet i owe you one.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #9

Yeah! I should get some sort of prize for guessing what it was.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Was the bracket and bolt there for you to screw down and fix it right away? I've got a spare bracket if you need it... it's probably cheaper to buy it at the dealership than to pay for the shipping from Houston, but I just thought I'd offer it anyway.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #10

its missing the bolt and bracket, I'll pick it up in the morning at the local Porsche dealer, their parts dept opens at 8:00am. Thanks again for the help

Last edited by jk0001; 10-25-2006 at 02:05 AM.