Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2020, 11:57 PM   #1

deleted post

Last edited by kbod; 08-23-2023 at 11:44 AM.
kbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbod View Post
I recently bought a boxster 2.7 tiptronic. I bought it being told it had a blown head gasket but upon disassembly I realized it was just a coolant hose that blew up, after replacing that the car was back in action, I changed its oil and coolant and saw 0 intermix. the car runs well aside from its shot front engine mount. But along absolutely abysmal fuel economy (11mpg) after driving the car 20 miles it threw a check engine light p1341. There was also an evap leak code. I brought the car home and made sure there was no evap leaks, sealed everything and cleared the codes, after driving another 20 miles the p1341 came back, but that was the only code this time. I also noticed right around when the check engine light kicks on the idle is really low and rough but when I hit the gas the car revs to life and sounds great. I just cleaned the mass air flow sensor, cleaned the throttle body and replaced all 6 spark plugs and inspected the coils. I don't understand what is the cause of the p1341 code that comes randomly without any real issue and how to fix it since the car is due for a smog check. any help is appreciated!!
P1341 is a code relating to a cam timing issue on bank one.
Usually related to the Variocam actuator, Variocam actuator solenoid, or the related wiring.
What year is the car and how many miles?
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #3

deleted post

Last edited by kbod; 08-23-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:59 PM   #4

Quote:
2001 boxster 2.7 with 116,000 miles, when I last did an oil change I saw no green particles in the sump, Should I begin with replacing the solenoid?
I would start with some research and study up on how the system works.
Things like:
What RPM is the actuator supposed to kick in and out at.
How is the Solenoid is wired? How many wires to the Solenoid? What voltages are spec?
Things like that.
Then I would get some diagnostic equipment like a Durametric or Foxwell scanner so I could look at live data.
Then I could look at things like:
Is the system functioning at all?
Is the solenoid getting voltage?
Are the cams moving at all?
Do I have an open or short in the solenoid wiring harness?

So what you want to start with is a detailed and complete as possible diagnosis of the problem before you start changing out expensive parts.
Isolate and Identify the problem before you fix it.
It could be something as simple as a bad wiring connection.
Or something more complex.

Last edited by blue62; 09-28-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:58 PM   #5

deleted post

Last edited by kbod; 08-23-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:22 AM   #6

Quote:
sounds fair enough. upon research I just noticed this is quite the task as it seems to be a common failure point on these cars although i can only seem to find replacement solenoids and i cant find a replacement actuator nor is there a general idea of what usually is the culprit. Some say the plastic guides wear down, some say stuck actuator, some say solenoids. I just want to know that if I am going to suffer in removing the valve covers which are integrated to the cams..I change the right part. And taking off the camshaft doesn't seem fun either, considering I really don't want to drop this engine. I guess ill start with the 400$ scan tool just to see what i'm really going to have to spend on haha. thanks!
Yes that is why I stressed getting to know the system as part of doing a proper diagnosis. The fix can be lots of work and expense or something relatively simple and cheap. that's where a proper diagnosis comes in.
You can test the wiring to the solenoid with a simple Digital Volt Meter but you need to know what wire is what and the voltage specs.
As you try to fix the issue work from simplest thing first to the more complex step by step. So I would start with the wiring and work my way up.
Lots of discussion on this issue here on the forum. So using the search function should help you out if you haven't done that already.
Keep us posted on your progress
We learn a lot about these cars from others experiences.