Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2020, 09:35 AM   #1

Garage
Again, Deep sump

So, this old topic :-)

986s 2003. I run the X51 baffle in the oem oil pan. R-compounds (Cup2).

Under hard acceleration in a long righthander I have at some moments seen the oilpressure lamp flicker. Clearly this is not ok so before next session I need to adress it.

I know about the lack of scavenge pumps on bank1 (front) and bank2 (rear) so I guess it´s in my case oil pooling in bank2 so the pickup sucks air. Since adding scavenge pumps is very expensive and a bit complicated maybe, I believe my options are:
1) Deep sump
2) Accusump

Since the deep sump is far easier to install than the accusump, this is what I´m leaning at.

So, am I goint in the right direction? I´m looking at the FVD deep sump, are those extra 0.6 litres really enough to make a difference? Any advices from you guys?

Last edited by Robert986; 08-09-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

I went with the LN deep sump with the baffle/ plate that sandwiches between. It's the only one that made much sense to me. And it has worked very well.
Word of caution: test fit it first. The quality control at LN sucks BADLY. you'll be adjusting holes in both the baffle and the sump.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I have the MantisSport 2 litre deep sump and never had any problems. I run the oil level around mid-range on the gauge to avoid smoke bombs with the assurance that there’s still lots of oil down below!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
So, this old topic :-)

986s 2003. I run the X51 baffle in the oem oil pan. R-compounds (Cup2).

Under hard acceleration in a long righthander I have at some moments seen the oilpressure lamp flicker. Clearly this is not ok so before next session I need to adress it.

I know about the lack of scavenge pumps on bank1 (front) and bank2 (rear) so I guess it´s in my case oil pooling in bank2 so the pickup sucks air. Since adding scavenge pumps is very expensive and a bit complicated maybe, I believe my options are:
1) Deep sump
2) Accusump

Since the deep sump is far easier to install than the accusump, this is what I´m leaning at.

So, am I goint in the right direction? I´m looking at the FVD deep sump, are those extra 0.6 litres really enough to make a difference? Any advices from you guys?

I have the FVD pan, It comes with a X-51 style metal baffle & doors. It's a quality part. I run DT-40 oil & don't have any issues
Old 08-10-2020, 01:07 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I have the FVD pan, It comes with a X-51 style metal baffle & doors. It's a quality part. I run DT-40 oil & don't have any issues
Did you have any issues before?

I feel that 0.6 liters is not very much, is it really enough. 2 liters Mantis looks like it give a bit too much reduction of ground clearance, I get the feeling I´d like somethng like 1 liter. But if 0,6 really works, then the FVD seems like a good choice.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:13 AM   #6

for you guys saying these things work, how are you monitoring your oil pressure?

I have ln deep sump with x51 baffle and horizontal baffle. Pressures drops all over the place.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:47 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Did you have any issues before?

I feel that 0.6 liters is not very much, is it really enough. 2 liters Mantis looks like it give a bit too much reduction of ground clearance, I get the feeling I´d like somethng like 1 liter. But if 0,6 really works, then the FVD seems like a good choice.
Very brief oil pressure drops on track, but I just drive to the track & run with my street tires.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
Racer Boy

I have a deep sump and X-51 steel baffle, and I don't monitor the oil pressure beyond the warning light, because that is all you need, right?

This issue inherent with the M96 is one reason why I only use 200 treadwear tires (Hankook RS4).
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:36 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
I have a deep sump and X-51 steel baffle, and I don't monitor the oil pressure beyond the warning light, because that is all you need, right?

This issue inherent with the M96 is one reason why I only use 200 treadwear tires (Hankook RS4).

I believe Oil quality is the top priority. I use DT-40.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:16 PM   #10
Racer Boy

As do I, BYprodriver!
Old 08-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I believe Oil quality is the top priority. I use DT-40.
Oil quality means nothing if it doesn't get where it needs to go
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:52 PM   #12
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
for you guys saying these things work, how are you monitoring your oil pressure?

I have ln deep sump with x51 baffle and horizontal baffle. Pressures drops all over the place.
Although I pull some fairly strong g’s with sticky tires, I don’t notice any significant pressure drops. I have separate VDO gauges for oil temperature and oil pressure.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #13
Who's askin'?

Quote:
As do I, BYprodriver!
What oil are YOU using?

Old 08-10-2020, 08:02 PM   #14
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
What oil are YOU using?

DT-40, although I don't think the brand has anything to do with oil pressure drop from hard cornering. That's caused by a poor design in the oil circulation system.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #15
Who's askin'?

Quote:
DT-40, although I don't think the brand has anything to do with oil pressure drop from hard cornering. That's caused by a poor design in the oil circulation system.
No, but I DO think that a "better" lubricant is likely to mask more dips in pressure than a "lesser" lubricant. Y'know?

I dunno..... maybe that's naive.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:10 AM   #16

Garage
I´m certainly no Oil-expert, ut I do think that there might be a possibility to get less foaming with the right oil, thus better fill in the oil-pan. I run Mobil-1 5w-50, X51 baffles, OEM pan. Get some flickering pressure-lamp in hard cornering sometimes..

Reading all the great responses above, I think I might start by using the FVD 0,6l pan, if thats not enough, I guess the FVD-pan could easily be sold as used..
Old 08-11-2020, 06:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Although I pull some fairly strong g’s with sticky tires, I don’t notice any significant pressure drops. I have separate VDO gauges for oil temperature and oil pressure.
interesting, do you have any video that shows the gauges while cornering?
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:43 AM   #18
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
No, but I DO think that a "better" lubricant is likely to mask more dips in pressure than a "lesser" lubricant. Y'know?

I dunno..... maybe that's naive.

It can't hurt to have a good oil, that's for sure. But the root problem is still there.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #19

For what it is worth I run XP9, have an LN deep sump and the oil pressure does vary widely. Pretty much the same as when I ran an X51 only.

Your gauge sampling rate will effect what dips you see. AIM will use 5-10hz for a pressure sensor, don't know about a VDO gauge.

If you do install a deep sump on a car that is run on the street, install some sort of sump guard. You won't regret it.
SPB #50
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
I have the MantisSport 2 litre deep sump and never had any problems. I run the oil level around mid-range on the gauge to avoid smoke bombs with the assurance that there’s still lots of oil down below!
Being Canadian and very close to Msntis I have run the Mantis 1.5 for years and never had a flickering oil pressure light on street biased tires at Mosport and Shanonville.

Way back it seemed to be the only design with a windage tray trapping the sump volume so I went with it rather than risking the engine. Never saw the point of the x51 when oil could escape upward irrespective of the baffles being steel or otherwise

Last edited by jaykay; 08-11-2020 at 12:24 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote