Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2020, 02:55 PM   #1

Where is the 986 Porsche Boxter made?

I see that most of the Porsche 986 boxter's are made in Finland and some in Germany. It seems that they are more like "assembled" in Finland. Is the actual engine and tiptronic transmission made in Germany? Just wondering. I read somewhere that 90% of the 986 Porsche Boxter has German made parts. Correct? Thx.

mungodrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:45 PM   #2

Large amount (maybe most / all) US export 986 were built in Finland. For these cars the engines were assembled in Germany and shipped to Finland.
Other parts were done in a same manner like other global car company's factories - some parts made at the country of the actual car factory loction, but many parts made in variuos countries globally. For example inside the door cards protective moisture barrier (foam kind of) is made in France on my car that is built in Finland. Then again I have seen many parts made in Finland and Germany.
I guess this is similar like today as well on building global manufacturer cars....

Above is my observation and includes also what I saw on summer of 1998 as I toured the assembly line at Uusikaupunki Finland to see Boxters being built
Old 07-30-2020, 03:53 PM   #3

Check your VIN. 11th digit shows where it was made. S for Stuttgart or U for Uusikaupunki. My 97 spec boxster is German made, but my 2004 V8 swapped car is Finnish. Haven't noticed any difference in build quality between the two.
specboxCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by specboxCO View Post
Check your VIN. 11th digit shows where it was made. S for Stuttgart or U for Uusikaupunki. My 97 spec boxster is German made, but my 2004 V8 swapped car is Finnish. Haven't noticed any difference in build quality between the two.
Great info- thx!
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #5

After the initial few in '96 were built (as '97s), Stuttgart built just enough to retain the knowledge to build the cars if they had to was the story I always heard. Never heard of any quality differences.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote