Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #1

Question What performance mods are available for the 3.2 motor ?

Superchargers, turbos, performance chips, headers ?

What is the best bang for the buck?

I wonder too how much more power the transmission, transaxle and clutch can take?

Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak
Superchargers, turbos, performance chips, headers ?

What is the best bang for the buck?

I wonder too how much more power the transmission, transaxle and clutch can take?
I suggest you do a search on whatever specific mod you might be considering. There are superchargers, turbos, chips, headers, cats, mufflers, intakes, flywheels, clutches, stickers with flames on them, plenums, etc, etc. I've had my 3.2 for about 8 months now and not a single modification looks like it has much bang for the buck other than dropping the 3.4 from a Carerra in it. Because I autocross quite a bit I'm looking at suspension mods and even those don't appear to be that attractive to me (primarily because it would bump me in a different class).

If I were to do modifications (which I may do next spring) I would add strut braces for body rigidity, a louder muffler so I can hear the engine better on the track, and an EVO intake system because it sounds like it may add a little throttle response (and maybe a couple extra HP).
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
I suggest you do a search on whatever specific mod you might be considering. There are superchargers, turbos, chips, headers, cats, mufflers, intakes, flywheels, clutches, stickers with flames on them, plenums, etc, etc. I've had my 3.2 for about 8 months now and not a single modification looks like it has much bang for the buck other than dropping the 3.4 from a Carerra in it. Because I autocross quite a bit I'm looking at suspension mods and even those don't appear to be that attractive to me (primarily because it would bump me in a different class).

If I were to do modifications (which I may do next spring) I would add strut braces for body rigidity, a louder muffler so I can hear the engine better on the track, and an EVO intake system because it sounds like it may add a little throttle response (and maybe a couple extra HP).

Stickers with flames huh ?

Thanks, I've checked into some of the mods and one thing is certain, anything you do to these cars cost about 2 to 3 times as much as anything else.

I haven't checked into the stickers yet.
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak
Stickers with flames huh ?

Thanks, I've checked into some of the mods and one thing is certain, anything you do to these cars cost about 2 to 3 times as much as anything else.

I haven't checked into the stickers yet.
Yeah... if you add stickers with flames to a yellow car you would have an absolute SCREAMER!!!

And don't forget the stick on fender "vents"...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #5

If you are seriously thinking about the Super Charger I would not do the Intake, headers, and chip. The SC kit has all of this included and are completely different from the standard parts.

If the power is a must then do it. If you are over 90% happy with the car as is then just do the bolt ons. The SC is a whole different mind set.

I welcome anyone to drive mine before they purchase a SC. It is not for everyone but it sure is fun.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
I welcome anyone to drive mine before they purchase a SC. It is not for everyone but it sure is fun.
Man I wish I lived near Seattle! If you had to take a guess what times do you think your car runs now for 0-60 & 1/4 mile?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #7

I ran with a modded 996 last week and was pulling in 3rd gear. David_J was in the car. I will not guess the time but I will get them very sson for you guys and post them. Maybe even a vid if you are nice.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #8

And it was a modded 996. We were behind him, so it's hard to say what really would have been the outcome if we started at the same time. I think we could have pulled more on him in second gear if things were equal.

You need to take your car to Pacific Raceways for some 1/4 mile times. I can be the camera boy.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

http://www.emeraldcitycustoms.com/images/box2.jpg

1986 Carrera (sold)
David_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J
And it was a modded 996. We were behind him, so it's hard to say what really would have been the outcome if we started at the same time. I think we could have pulled more on him in second gear if things were equal.

You need to take your car to Pacific Raceways for some 1/4 mile times. I can be the camera boy.

-David

You have yourself a deal!

Old 10-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #10

If I was going to mod my Box, this is what I would go with :

http://www.imagineauto.com/boxster02.htm

$2200 for 23 to 28 hp...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #11

I think a mild turbo would be the best bet for the 3.2. I don't know how strong the motor is, but others have said certain parts are notoriously weak and the SC puts more load on the engine than a turbo setup would. I think this would be the best bet. I think there's a company called tekwerks or something like that.

mnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote