Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2006, 03:24 PM   #1

Can you feel different weight wheels

So, I am a newbie to performance cars. I have wanted a Porsche since the late 1960's when I had a Karman Ghia and was thinking of putting a used Porsche engine in it. Over the years I have put up with family vehicles, including the emasculating mini-van.

But now I have my 2000 Boxster (for only six months now), oh happy man. The car came with 17" factory wheels that I put new Michellins on less than two months ago. I recently found some aftermarket Carrera 18" wheels with Falken tires, on ebay, and got them.

I just put the new wheels on today and they look great. I took it for a ride and I could tell a number of differences between the new and old wheels and tires, but what I seemed to notice was that the car did not seem as quick. As I understand it, my new tire/wheel combination should only add about 3 lbs/wheel of rotating mass to the car. Should you be able to feel a difference in the ability to accelerate quickly with 18" wheels compared to 17" wheels, thanks,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
So, I am a newbie to performance cars. I have wanted a Porsche since the late 1960's when I had a Karman Ghia and was thinking of putting a used Porsche engine in it. Over the years I have put up with family vehicles, including the emasculating mini-van.

But now I have my 2000 Boxster (for only six months now), oh happy man. The car came with 17" factory wheels that I put new Michellins on less than two months ago. I recently found some aftermarket Carrera 18" wheels with Falken tires, on ebay, and got them.

I just put the new wheels on today and they look great. I took it for a ride and I could tell a number of differences between the new and old wheels and tires, but what I seemed to notice was that the car did not seem as quick. As I understand it, my new tire/wheel combination should only add about 3 lbs/wheel of rotating mass to the car. Should you be able to feel a difference in the ability to accelerate quickly with 18" wheels compared to 17" wheels, thanks,

Ed
if your new wheels and tires are taller than your old ones it will slow you down
yfz/700R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #3

Did you weigh the new and old wheel/tire combo?

It'll be very hard to tell a 3 lb difference. I am sure I couldn't. But my suspicion is that in your case your new wheels/tires are more like 8-10 lbs heavier than the old ones.

When I went from 18" to 17" on my Boxster, I saved ~9lbs per corner. And yes, you can definitely feel that difference!

Hope this helps,
Gary
Gary Gaukler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:44 PM   #4

Yikes

I guess I need to pull off the wheels and weigh them, I hope that they are not that much heavier. I still have my old wheels with Michellins for comparison.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 10-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #5

Or you could look at the shipping label (instead of pulling the wheels off). That usually lists the weight of the item... and add a pound or so for the box (provided they were shipped each in their own seprate boxes).
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:17 AM   #6

More Wheel Weights

I did look at the shipping weights and they listed the wheels at 35/40 lbs for the front rears for the new 18" wheels and tires.

My stock wheels with new Michellin P/S weigh 42/47 lbs for the front rear! I suspect the tire shipper may use a generic label for their wheel sets, I cannt imagine them being lighter than the factory wheels/tires.

Ed

Old 10-18-2006, 04:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
I did look at the shipping weights and they listed the wheels at 35/40 lbs for the front rears for the new 18" wheels and tires.

My stock wheels with new Michellin P/S weigh 42/47 lbs for the front rear! I suspect the tire shipper may use a generic label for their wheel sets, I cannt imagine them being lighter than the factory wheels/tires.

Ed
Porsche wheels in general are very heavy, even the 17's. The Carrera 5-spokes are, however, particularly light. I suspect they are indeed lighter than your 17's.

John
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:14 AM   #8

Wheel Weights

Its funny the weight on the fedex boxes for the new 18" wheels/tires listed the weights as 40/35 lbs. I just got an email about the wheels from fedex that listed the actual weights as 48.6/52.6 lbs. I weighed the boxes they came in and they wieghed about 3.6 lbs.

Best I can figure the new wheels/tires weigh 45/49 lbs compared to the stock wheels which wiegh 42/47 lbs, not bad, and like the 2-3 lb increase in wieght the seller said I would see with the 18" wheels,

Ed

Old 10-18-2006, 07:19 AM   #9

I think we have the same new carrera light rims from wheel dynamics, except I got PS2's, which probably weigh the same as Falkan tires.

My boxes said 33 for the fronts and 38 lbs for the backs, per the fedex tracking page, not the box itself.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:19 AM   #10
bmussatti

FYI, you can also get tire weights from Tire Rack's web site. For example:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp?displayResults=6&compare=true&compareList=1%2C4&RunFlat=All&goWhere=%252Ftires%252FCompare1.jsp&width=265%2F&ratio=35&diameter=19&startIndex=0&sortValue=1
Old 10-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #11

If you got 18" OEM Carrera light 5 spokes they would actually be lighter than the 17's.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
If you got 18" OEM Carrera light 5 spokes they would actually be lighter than the 17's.
Hi,

I agree, but so would your wallet...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote