Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2020, 05:20 AM   #1

Does my boxster 986 sound health? With video

Hi there! I just bought myself a 986 2003 boxster and am really enjoying it. However, I am wondering if the engine is sounding like it should. Moreover, I have the feeling that there is a slight ticking sound, but from reading forums this could be also a characteristic of the flat 6. Since I have no comparison material I was hoping to hear your opinion or some reference material on what I should be expecting.

Here is how mine sounded today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2DyE0rfBSY

And with a cold start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8gUBjMdW3w

sa986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:27 PM   #2

It sounds healthy from where I sit. I couldn't really hear a tricking sound.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:38 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Sounds like a valve tappet is stuck.

The valves use a hydraulic tappet that takes up the valve lash using pressurized oil.This means that the valve clearance never needs to be adjusted. If the oil passage becomes clogged or the tappet gets stuck, then nothing takes up the lash and the valve makes a ticking sound as it is operated.

One of my earlier engines did this (I race my Boxster so I am now on engine #5). In a very, very long time it can ultimately cause a failure. But in that amount of time, something else can fail too so its not the kiss of death. Do not freak out. Many people just live with it. Some people change the oil or use a different weight of oil. Some owners use oil additives to try to unplug the oil passage or otherwise free up whatever is stuck. Once in awhile, it will unstick and go away all by itself. Otherwise, the valve covers need to be removed to clear the blockage or replace the stuck tappet.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-30-2020 at 09:42 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I have an 03 S and those sounds are damn close to how mine sounds. I’ve had the car going into seven years and it has always sounded like this. My indie mechanic who did my IMS, RMS and clutch back in 2016 has an 02 S and also makes a similar sound. He isn’t concerned but says if it gets worse we will address it. So far so good.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
986 boxster , sound