Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2020, 04:15 AM   #1

Painting Seats?

Seems like a horrible idea but reading up on vinyl paint it seems to hold up rather well. I'm thinking of painting my fake GT3 seats grey, I've already recovered the centers. Does anyone have experience with Vinyl paint? The car isn't a daily so it won't have a lot of wear and tear, also once in the seats I don't slide around like a typical seat which I think would decrease wear.

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #2

I re-finished an old comfy recliner with Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products
Purchased the kit with the cleaner, oil, prepping agent, dye, and crack filler.
The difference in finish was incredible, but they got the color match wrong on the dye which I wasn't thrilled about. I'd stick with one of their standard colors.

It is probably a lot more work than the paint option and I think I took a couple of months off my life handling the prepping agent (wear thick rubber gloves), but the finish was worth it.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:36 PM   #3

Garage
I watched a Wheeler Dealer episode this evening that featured a Boxster S. In this episode they pulled the seats recovered the insert and it did look like they painted the seats. No experience with this on my end though.
Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:54 AM   #4

I've painted both seats and they look sooo much better. Started with Leatherique to clean years of crap from the leather, then wiped the paint on in several thin layers. Easy to do, but patience is needed on the Leatherique part to allow it to do its magic.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #5

Leatherique makes good stuff. I used a Leather Magic kit to restore some areas of my Boxster red seats. Only a year into using them but they look great and have held-up well thus far. They will color match to a variety of OEM colors, and offer a spray-on applicator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
I re-finished an old comfy recliner with Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products
Purchased the kit with the cleaner, oil, prepping agent, dye, and crack filler.
The difference in finish was incredible, but they got the color match wrong on the dye which I wasn't thrilled about. I'd stick with one of their standard colors.

It is probably a lot more work than the paint option and I think I took a couple of months off my life handling the prepping agent (wear thick rubber gloves), but the finish was worth it.
geekdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:36 AM   #6

Thanks guys sounds encouraging.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:45 AM   #7

Good stuff

I used Leatherique products to dye my leather seats and am (mostly) pleased with the results. Like Stroked & Blown, the color match for the dye wasn't quite right but in my case the slight mismatch gives my seats a subtle two-tone effect that I quite like. I refinished the seats three years ago and by far and away most of the dyed areas still look great, the exception being the areas where the original smooth finish had been worn away leaving a rough surface . I cleaned and prepped those areas more aggressively and applied the dye again last year. We'll see how well it holds up this time. In any case, I think that the problem was due to the condition of the leather and not due to any fault in the dye and should not be a problem when applied to vinyl.

cheers - dj
Old 05-16-2020, 08:14 AM   #8

Wow that looks great! Super encouraging.