Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 06:26 AM   #1

Tune up?

Okay, so tune up may be the wrong terminology but I'm only a few weeks away from putting Nicole (02 S) up for the winter and before I put the cover on her I want to perform some maintenance. What "tune up" items should I perform/replace at this time? I have already read the winterizing topics so this is focused on stuff that simply needs to be cleaned, repaired or replaced for a car at her age. For example, the spark plugs will be replaced. I'm assuming that almost everything on her is original seeing that she is low mileage (17,500) and a 2002 (I've only had her since February of this year)...

I'm sure this is in the maintenance manual but I don't have one with me at time of this post and most of the time I don't believe in the "grease your muffler bearings" crap that they put in them to be able to charge you $2000 at the dealer to do. I don't mean that the "grease your muffler bearings" stuff is bad, just a little over the top sometimes.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Okay, so tune up may be the wrong terminology but I'm only a few weeks away from putting Nicole (02 S) up for the winter and before I put the cover on her I want to perform some maintenance. What "tune up" items should I perform/replace at this time? I have already read the winterizing topics so this is focused on stuff that simply needs to be cleaned, repaired or replaced for a car at her age. For example, the spark plugs will be replaced. I'm assuming that almost everything on her is original seeing that she is low mileage (17,500) and a 2002 (I've only had her since February of this year)...

I'm sure this is in the maintenance manual but I don't have one with me at time of this post and most of the time I don't believe in the "grease your muffler bearings" crap that they put in them to be able to charge you $2000 at the dealer to do. I don't mean that the "grease your muffler bearings" stuff is bad, just a little over the top sometimes.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Hi,

Change the brake fluid (don't let that old, moisture-laden fluid attack your calipers and brake lines all winter), tranny fluid (there's a time component to this one), this year or next, change the coolant (it really isn't Lifetime, 5yr./150k mi. is more like it, refresh the anti-corrosives), change the Serpentine Belt (5 yr./150k mi.). This will give you something to go on I just completed all these yesterday, fresh wax today and then the cover goes on 'til Spring...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote