Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #1

Talking Engine tilted.

Noticed tailpipes hanging crooked. All back mounts seemed ok so took the bumper off to get a better look. The driver side of the muffler is two inches lower than the passenger. The cat pipe appears to be resting on the sway bar. Engine runs ok and car actually rides pretty close to normal. I’m just guessing at this point, but seems the next step is to take off the scrap guards and check the front mounts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I bought the car about 9 months ago and while fixing some of the 35 issues saw that the engine mount metal looked really clean so assumed it had been replaced. I confess to violently thrashing the car on a weekly basis. I leave my driveway and it’s virtually a secluded hairpin drivers paradise—but bumpy.
Side note: couldn’t get Michelin 4s for 17” rims so just got some new continental extreme attack. Can’t wait to attack and report how they do.

2008 Toyota 4Runner
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
The driver side of the muffler is two inches lower than the passenger. The cat pipe appears to be resting on the sway bar.
Post a couple pic if you can. I've seen some neglected Boxsters, but I don't think I've come across that issue yet. A transmission mount would have to completely come apart to drop the engine 2" on one side. Other than that, one of the side brackets in the rear suspension could be cracked. They are a weak point. Sure it's not just an exhaust problem?
Old 04-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
...one of the side brackets in the rear suspension could be cracked. They are a weak point.
Which is this bracket? I'd like to check this out from my car, but have not been aware of this weakness issue so far - planning some tracking this summer, but want to check this out before track day.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Which is this bracket? I'd like to check this out from my car, but have not been aware of this weakness issue so far - planning some tracking this summer, but want to check this out before track day.

The earlier years are weaker. I think 1999 is when they upgraded the casting. #3 in this diagram:

Tom Stone's:

My DIY a few years back for a lesser crack (With Torques):
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/63154-replacing-rear-suspension-bracket.html

Last edited by 78F350; 04-26-2020 at 10:28 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:01 PM   #5

Just shooting from the hip.....but can you have a look at the transmission mounts as well as the front engine mount? If the car is level and the muffler mounts are all intact then I would logically look to the next set mounts governing the muffler position which are engine and transmission
Old 04-26-2020, 12:05 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback! Here's a picture. Looking forward to you're all sage advice, options, and speculation.

pictures
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Old 04-27-2020, 02:57 AM   #7

Garage
Have you been able to inspect the situation from under the car? Could it be that it is just the exhaust that is crooked, not the engine?
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
The earlier years are weaker. I think 1999 is when they upgraded the casting. #3 in this diagram:
Great to know, thanks!
My car is 2001, so it should be with upgraded version then. Anyhow, I'll take a look at this when I go under the car in a week or two:dance:
Old 04-27-2020, 09:06 AM   #9

It’s probably the transmission mounts. This is very common on 996’s. The 996 has the same transmission mounts but uses them as engine mounts. When they fail the engine will sag two inches. I recommend installing semi-solid mounts
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #10

It’s also possible that the U shaped exhaust pipes have slipped and only the exhaust is tilted.
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
It’s probably the transmission mounts. This is very common on 996’s. The 996 has the same transmission mounts but uses them as engine mounts. When they fail the engine will sag two inches. I recommend installing semi-solid mounts
Just as an aside....has anyone been able to change out transmission mounts without dropping the mid pipes. I would have a look but I can't put my car up just now. I plan to change out my mounts on jack stands if possible. I don't want to distrupt any braces such that I need to do a realignment....there is no place to get a set up done at present. Perhaps it is best left till later.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Here's a picture. Looking forward to you're all sage advice, options, and speculation.

pictures
Wow that is a serious droop. Something in the exhaust muffler mount up top must have gone as well. You should be able to see a problem right where the muffler mounts the back to the back of the trans.

I would not drive the car obviously.

Last edited by jaykay; 04-27-2020 at 10:53 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #13

Went under with a friend and carefully examined best we could without seeing anything suspicious. I jacked the drooping pipe and no sound indicating a broken bracket. Called Bill at Pelican and he thinks it’s probably a transmission mount as some of you thought so as well. If the engine etc is only suspended by two trans mounts and one engine mount seems to reason it must be the trans mount on one side. Please correct me if I’m wrong. That being said I’m ready to pull the trigger on a new one(s). Since I do drive hard on bumpy roads both would seem to make sense. Any opinions or experience about the reinforced type ... somewhere between the Wevo and OEM? Any brand of mount recommendations? Maybe anything but OEM would be too stiff for my roads?
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Old 04-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #14

sorry just re read your original post and noticed that you mentioned that the cat is resting on the sway bar, most likely it's due to a worn (or broken) mount...

Have you tried to jack up the engine (with a wooden block) to it's original position?

Last edited by Gilles; 04-28-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #15

Disaster bummer. Exposed everything and found the differential case broke off at the bolt. (of course this is after foolishly buying new transmission mounts). My nephew used to be an instructor and Wyotech and said it would be hard but thinks he can weld it, and add a metal plate for more reinforcement. If we do it I'm going to have him reinforce the other side at the same time. I'm going to do some more research to see if this has ever happened to anyone else before. I googled '986 differentials' and nothing but a 5speed came up. Any advice would be well received.
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Old 05-04-2020, 03:22 PM   #16

Garage
Never seen that one before... Have you hit any roadbumps or something that you're aware of?
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #17

Quote:

Disaster bummer. Exposed everything and found the differential case broke off at the bolt. (of course this is after foolishly buying new transmission mounts). My nephew used to be an instructor and Wyotech and said it would be hard but thinks he can weld it, and add a metal plate for more reinforcement. If we do it I'm going to have him reinforce the other side at the same time. I'm going to do some more research to see if this has ever happened to anyone else before. I googled '986 differentials' and nothing but a 5speed came up. Any advice would be well received.
Something must have been wrong with another mount(s) I can't imagine that such a small aluminum tab with such tiny gussets would be designed to hold so much weight that the motor would drop 2" if it broke.

Is that where the L-shaped part of the tranny mount bolts? If so, is the top bolt of that L-shaped bracket missing? That's the only way I could see something like that happening.

Last edited by piper6909; 05-05-2020 at 05:44 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #18

Emerald, this happen to one of my X1/9 transaxles (where the slave mounts on the tab on top), took the gearbox to a friends shop and they welded the aluminum tab back again and with the extra welds seemed stronger than originally, and never had an issue afterwards, but I had to remove the transaxle to be properly welded..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Emerald, this happen to one of my X1/9 transaxles (where the slave mounts on the tab on top), took the gearbox to a friends shop and they welded the aluminum tab back again and with the extra welds seemed stronger than originally, and never had an issue afterwards, but I had to remove the transaxle to be properly welded..
I had one those in high school! Definite chick magnet, but tons of problems!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #20
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:

Wow, broken transmission case. That must have been quite a hit. That tab is part of the front half of the transaxle assembly including the bell housing and differential housing. I am wondering if the mount bracket or upper mount bosses are broken as well. To do that right, it will have to be removed and disassembled. At that point, you might consider just replacing the whole transmission.