Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2006, 11:34 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Euphoria
Steering wheel vibration when AC is on

Hi,

I've recenty noticed vibration in my steering wheel instantly after i turn the AC on. The vibration is more noticable when the car is idle. When i start driving the vibration is less noticable.

I think the problem is related to the compressor because the vibration continues even when the AC fan is off.

I spoke to my dealer that suggested dirt and dust (stuck to the radiator or fan "i think" are causing the vibration). He said it simply needs cleaning, but the front bumper needs to be removed first.

I would appreciate any info from anyone that has experianced the same problem...

Thanks...

Euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:17 AM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Euphoria
compressor vibration

Further to my above post, I would like to add that when the AC compressor is on, I was easily able to locate the source of the vibration, which is behind the left side of the front bumper (drivers side).

When i place my hand on the left side of the front bumper(close to the left front wheel) i can feel the vibration very distinctly and it goes away when i turn of the compressor.

Is this a simple problem that just requires cleaning certain parts that may have dirt attached or could it be something that requires changing faulty parts??

Any info will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:34 AM   #3

The driver's side fan is the main one, and it will be the first fan to go out... mine did. The passenger side fan comes on when the AC or a heavy load puts the engine into a hotter situation than normal.

The bearings simply wear out after time on these fans. Cleaining it is a good first move, but if your boxster is older (97-99) you may need to replace that fan.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote