Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #1

Tachometer Signal

Gents,

Where is the best place to connect to the tachometer signal. I ask as I a have the cluster apart and have access to the plugs at the back.

From the wiring diagrams (1998) I have and posts it appear that it is plug II (white), gr/vi (I think this is green/violet; I hope I can actually discern the colours). I could solder a pin and insert into to the connector. This will be a bit messy.

Which OBDII wire is the tachometer signal? Would it be better wiring practice to use a wire tap (if so which type) and just grab switched 12v there as well? The wires I am trying to connect up are a very fine gauge.

A present it would be easier to order wire taps online rather that grabbing soldering equipment.

j

Old 04-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #2

Crickets.........no one?
Old 04-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #3

Garage
Check the ODB2 plug pin 9 Purple Green
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:21 AM   #4

tach connections

I have a question about doing just the opposite.

My engine swap is using a stand alone ECU that has a 5V tach driver output. As I'm not using the factory ECU to make the engine run, can I back feed the 5 volt signal into the same OBD wire to make the tach in the dash work?

I'm aware of the Tach Adapt product but I still need to find out what wire or wires feed the tach itself. 01 Boxster S 6 speed. I have the Bentley manual and wiring diagram but my eyesight is just not that good anymore.....

Thanks for any thoughts!
outsidetheboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Check the ODB2 plug pin 9 Purple Green
Thanks man. This matches with the cluster wire colour which is good news. There was nothing I could find wiring diagram-wise. By any chance can are you aware of which OB2 pin/wire colour is switched 12V???
Old 04-05-2020, 06:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidetheboxster View Post
I have a question about doing just the opposite.

My engine swap is using a stand alone ECU that has a 5V tach driver output. As I'm not using the factory ECU to make the engine run, can I back feed the 5 volt signal into the same OBD wire to make the tach in the dash work?

I'm aware of the Tach Adapt product but I still need to find out what wire or wires feed the tach itself. 01 Boxster S 6 speed. I have the Bentley manual and wiring diagram but my eyesight is just not that good anymore.....

Thanks for any thoughts!

I am leaving the factory ECU in tack so I can run all these little things like coolant temp yada yada. Might not be the "cleanest" solution but I think it should work.

If leaving the ECU in place doesn't work; I'm gonna follow this thread for a solution.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:44 AM   #7

https://www.specr53.com/blog/diy/996-shift-light-install-diy/

thats what I used for my shift light and it worked great. should help you.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:15 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Thanks man. This matches with the cluster wire colour which is good news. There was nothing I could find wiring diagram-wise. By any chance can are you aware of which OB2 pin/wire colour is switched 12V???
I used the wire in the center console under the radio Its a 4 pin plug that also has a ground. Green/Black switched 12, Red/Green 12vdc always, Brown GND.

ODB2 pin 16 Red/Black
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 04-06-2020 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:37 AM   #9

Garage
I used this for my Traqmate system, until I started to have compatibility problems with GoPro. I switched to AIM with ODB2 bluetooth which was easier mating video to data and direct connect sensor.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #10

If you do end up using a tap, search for posi-tap connectors, they are way better than the blade style ones that pinch onto the wire. When I wired my trailer hitch, the blade connectors that came with my harness were junk and worked intermittently, so I replaced them all (except passenger side turn signal) with the posi-tap connectors. Guess which one doesn't work reliably these days

Disclaimer: Maybe the blade taps that came with my harness were junk and other brands are better, but I really like the posi-tap connectors.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
If you do end up using a tap, search for posi-tap connectors, they are way better than the blade style ones that pinch onto the wire. When I wired my trailer hitch, the blade connectors that came with my harness were junk and worked intermittently, so I replaced them all (except passenger side turn signal) with the posi-tap connectors. Guess which one doesn't work reliably these days

Disclaimer: Maybe the blade taps that came with my harness were junk and other brands are better, but I really like the posi-tap connectors.
Thanks Steve! I was doing some surfing (not the kind I want to be doing on Coco Beach) and came to this conclusion. Thanks for confirming my arm chair thoughts with practical experience. Here is a link for everyone's benefit:

https://www.posi-products.com/

These things still use a spike going in the stands but my feeling is that they would yield way less damage while having less potential for an intermittent condition
Old 04-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
https://www.specr53.com/blog/diy/996-shift-light-install-diy/

thats what I used for my shift light and it worked great. should help you.
Thanks Quad, yes this is exactly where I am going with this....If I can secure all the materials required for the install during these times, fI will post up the results.

Currently looking for a remote 3D printer for small stuff and then have them mail back the hardware.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I used the wire in the center console under the radio Its a 4 pin plug that also has a ground. Green/Black switched 12, Red/Green 12vdc always, Brown GND.

ODB2 pin 16 Red/Black
Beautiful yes, I think you are referring to the black connector pictured here in mid-frame. I would dearly love to find a connector that goes in and slice into those leads for all the add ons I am putting in. Any mistakes would not harm the stock harness.

Did you find pins that fit in there?