Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2022, 06:52 AM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
That's how I found this thread.

Old 05-16-2022, 07:06 PM   #162

Question for you -

What did you end up doing to the fuel system to run e85? I remember you said that you were installing a second pump - can you give details on that? Also, Did you switch out all the fuel lines?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2022, 02:43 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Question for you -

What did you end up doing to the fuel system to run e85? I remember you said that you were installing a second pump - can you give details on that? Also, Did you switch out all the fuel lines?

The most expensive and complex thing was installing 1,100cc injectors that are required for the amount of fuel you need with e85. The injectors were more expensive than both turbos combined and their size made tuning very challenging since even small changes made big changes in air to fuel ratios. I also have a flex fuel sensor in the gas line that is talking to my stand alone and adjusts A/F, timing, etc for e85 and octane levels, e85 friendly lines and of course a stand alone system that has the fuel and ignition maps.
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:07 PM   #164

Quote:
The most expensive and complex thing was installing 1,100cc injectors that are required for the amount of fuel you need with e85. The injectors were more expensive than both turbos combined and their size made tuning very challenging since even small changes made big changes in air to fuel ratios. I also have a flex fuel sensor in the gas line that is talking to my stand alone and adjusts A/F, timing, etc for e85 and octane levels, e85 friendly lines and of course a stand alone system that has the fuel and ignition maps.
Thanks for all that info! What did you do with the OEM tank and pump setup? Did you leave them both in place and add a second stage pump to up the pressure? Or did you scrap it all and go with a totally new system?

Old 05-26-2022, 06:38 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Thanks for all that info! What did you do with the OEM tank and pump setup? Did you leave them both in place and add a second stage pump to up the pressure? Or did you scrap it all and go with a totally new system?

I used the OEM pump and tank (I added a second inline pump to get the fuel capacity up). I basically followed what the 996TT guys did. If you want to get fancy there are 996TT E85 conversion kits out there, just make sure you select one with a return line or no return line depending on your setup.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:43 AM   #166

To everyone's surprise the car survived Hyperfest last week! I'm shocked, I actually drove it back onto the trailer at the end of the weekend. I admit I had so little faith I even rented a garage at track. Overall the car did really well, but I did have some problems. At a 140mph the roof lifted about 8"s up and forward, fortunately the hinges held and I was able to hold the roof down with my hand until I could into the pits (the flaggers were not impressed with one handed driving but I was allowed back out). The second time out the rear fenders were sucked into the pavement but a few rivets later that was resolved. The only real problem I had was over around 4,800rpm the car would misfire badly at full throttle (anything under that, or just off full throttle it was perfect). I was adjusting the fuel table all day (it was running rich) but I don't think it ended up being a mixture problem. I pulled the plugs and they were perfect, I think the problem may be related to the stock weak coils I have.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:15 AM   #167
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage

Last edited by 78F350; 05-26-2022 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Stopping the animated .gif
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:31 AM   #168

Quote:
I used the OEM pump and tank (I added a second inline pump to get the fuel capacity up). I basically followed what the 996TT guys did. If you want to get fancy there are 996TT E85 conversion kits out there, just make sure you select one with a return line or no return line depending on your setup.
That's good to know.

I'm thinking about an e85 conversion when I go twin turbo. My plan was to keep the tank, pump and rails but to replace the mild steel lines with e85 compliant an6 tubing, adding a Bosch 044 inline to boost flow, going with 40% larger injectors, and faking nb02 input from a WB so that I can dial in 9.7 for stoich.

It's good to know that everything is running well for you! For the misfires at wot - what are your afr and fuel pressure at that point? Maybe you're leaning out?

Old 06-01-2022, 09:55 AM   #169

Now that the car runs its time to dive back in. I'll be running track events all summer but on side I'm going to try and rebody the car. The first thing, and the hardest thing will be the front fender flares. Its hard to tell in the photo below but the front tires stick out 9"s past the body on each side, so I'm going to make flares to cover these out of carbon. Then...I'm going to try to remake the rest of the body panels in carbon fiber. I've ordered the material, no turning back!

I created the shape of the flares with tap and cardboard. So. much. tape. 6 roles a side.

First coat of fiberglass...was rough. My plan is to throw on some bondo and another layer of fiberglass and use this as a mold for the carbon panels. For some reason the flares appear pretty flat and tame in the photos but they are massive. They widen the front of the car by 20"s (the front suspension has been expended).

Old 06-01-2022, 10:32 AM   #170

I envy your skill. I tried to make a fiberglass part last week, turned out horrible and it was a quarter of the size you are doing.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:16 PM   #171

So I'll admit I was feeling pretty cocky when I posted that first fiberglasss photo. 10 hours, 2 coats of fiberglass, one coat of bondo, and untold amounts of drywall plaster later I'm feeling back to my normal self. This. ins't. east. Its getting close, but this is only the mold..for the mold, which I'll make the actual fenders out of.

If you're thinking of trying this here are some take-aways I've had.

1) packaging tape is an excellent "realese agent", fiberglass doesn't even think about sticking to it

2) if you're making a mold there is no reason to use bondo, bondo is hard to work with. Quick dry wall spackle is the way to go. The slow drying stuff that everyone is used to can't go on thick or it will crack. The fast dry stuff can go on thick and can be sanded in hours (as apposed to days). It also begins to dry after about 5 minutes which allows you smooth it out like clay. Really neat stuff.

Yes thats right, packaging tape and drywall spackle are my advice. What were you expecting?

Old 06-24-2022, 03:12 PM   #172

Still needs top coats and some trimming but I CAN MAKE CARBONFIBER PARTS YOUALL!

Old 06-24-2022, 09:58 PM   #173

Impressive work my friend!
spdrcr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:30 AM   #174

A small brake from the carbon work. NASCAR road course brake install incoming. NASCAR just switched to 18 wheels so teams are dumping the old brakes. This is all new stuff (except for the hats), over 10k in brakes (for just the front) bought off eBay in pieces for less than $1k. Amazing if I can make it work.

Old 07-02-2022, 02:38 AM   #175

Those calipers look spicy, massive difference between top end motorsport and what you get on a road car. Interested to see what you end up doing with them.
Escy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 02:37 PM   #176

I worked on some of the more complicated bits this weekend. It was super difficult to get the pointy bits out of the mold but otherwise it looks good.

Old 08-09-2022, 03:18 AM   #177

Progress continues. These are all in various stages of completion. One of them have been sanded and clear pages yet though.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:12 PM   #178

This is, without a doubt, the coolest thing I've read in a long time. Thank you so much for sharing. This thread got so much more impressive as I kept reading.

Where did you even pick up the skills to do this? Would you be willing to sell your skills?
16 Mercedes C450 AMG
22 Tesla Model X Plaid
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:34 AM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
This is, without a doubt, the coolest thing I've read in a long time. Thank you so much for sharing. This thread got so much more impressive as I kept reading.

Where did you even pick up the skills to do this? Would you be willing to sell your skills?
Thank you! I have, literally, no idea what I'm doing. I have never done any of this before.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:59 PM   #180

Quote:
Thank you! I have, literally, no idea what I'm doing. I have never done any of this before.
Well whatever you're doing, keep doing it! And keep sharing for us to read!

16 Mercedes C450 AMG
22 Tesla Model X Plaid
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote