Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2004, 02:14 PM   #1

Fixing rear window

Someone just cut my plastic rear window on my 98 boxster today. I am pissed off but nothing I can do now. Its about 2-3 inches long vertically and its right in the middle. Is there a way of getting it fixed without having to replace the whole top? I also heard that someone makes a repair kit for it but not sure if its true. Could I also get prices for any idea you all have.

Yoslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:29 PM   #2
b0xt0La

YOu don't have to replace the whole top for the plastic window. You can buy a new plastic window and go to someone who works with tops and can sew it on the top. I think it will cost you around $500. They have to take the top off and do it.
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:52 PM   #3

Looks like some A-hole just cost you 5 big ones. Some people just plain suck. Why did they have to do something so stupid.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:01 PM   #4

Some people are just messed up in the head!
Yoslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:35 AM   #5

Yeah you can have a new one sewn in. Let us know how much it ends up costing you. I have heard of a place here in the San Diego that will do this for about $400. Sorry to hear about this incident, it sucks.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:21 AM   #6
porsche986

My rear window was replaced around a year ago. It shattered when i converted it in cold weather. Anyways it cost £230 supply and fit, i even had quotes of £800 .... shop around.

When you convert on a new rear windows, make sure you only convert half way then get out your car and press the window to form a line then re-convert. This must be done or in a few years you will end up with a horrible line... you need to do this for a few month to maintain a clear window when the roof is up!

what can i say some people are just born evil..
Old 02-16-2004, 06:54 AM   #7

On a simular note my rear window looks a little crappy. My car is totally pristine, except for that peice of crap rear window. I have been considering replacing it this spring, but wanted to know if anyone has ever used one of those plastic rear window restorers before? I have seen a few advertised here and there and they claim to clean them up to look like new again. Anyone have any experience with these. Recommendations?
Old 02-17-2004, 06:18 AM   #8

JF

I use Plexus on mine, it does wonders for the window. Use a totally clean cotton terry towel, really soak it well with the Plexus, then rub with pretty good pressure in a circular motion. Clean up with another clean cotton terry (or you could use microfiber I suppose), again in circular motion. It really will improve your window a lot. I try to do it about once a month or so. Plexus is sometimes hard to find locally, though I have found it at a Home Depot store. Motorcycle shops supposedly carry it too. If all else fails, order online. If you get streaks, you are doing it wrong. Their use instructions are not really what you should do, use my technique, which someone told me about. Forget who that was, but it really is the way to do it.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:01 AM   #9

Marine supply stores seem to always carry plexus - the same plastic is used a lot in boat tops for side windows, etc. For instance: http://www.westmarine.com/ or more specifically: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=72456
Old 02-24-2004, 01:57 PM   #10

Having driven a 356 Cab for 25 years, I have one critical tip on the care and feeding of the plastic rear window. Before lowering the top, wipe the outside of the window with a moist paper towel and PAT dry. Don't wipe it to dry (although wiping may be faster, I find that it can scratch).
Recently I replaced the 24 year old Cab top. Although the fabric was faded and torn, the rear window was in good shape and clear enough to see through. I never used any type of plastic cleaner on it. It appears that the dust (it's there even if hard to see) acts like sandpaper on the window, and really does a job on it. Good luck. Tom
tlc356sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 07:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by mjbliemel
Yeah you can have a new one sewn in. Let us know how much it ends up costing you. I have heard of a place here in the San Diego that will do this for about $400. Sorry to hear about this incident, it sucks.
Sorry to resurrect this thread.

I'm in San Diego and in need of replacing my rear window. What's the name of the shop and what the going rate for replacing just the plastic window?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:05 AM   #12

Here is a top on Ebay and it looks like a good deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7922354362&category=33652

Automon
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Automon
Here is a top on Ebay and it looks like a good deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7922354362&category=33652

Automon
Thanks, but my top is still in great shape. It's just that the plastic is ripped.

That eBay price sounds good though, so that will be my backup plan. If I go that route, how difficult is it to replace the whole top?
Old 09-22-2004, 12:31 PM   #14

You can take your top to an upholsterer in San Diego [I have], and they will cut your old Eisenglas out and replace it.

There is a place in National City that will do it, but I need to get there name for you.

I did it couple years ago on a VW thing.

Your cost will prpbably be only $100.00, bucks, you could even take it to Tijuana [the top] and do it for $50.00.

And still have a good day drinking a couple of Corona's.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:07 AM   #15

Jim's Auto Upholstery in Kearny Mesa was charging $275. I went to look at their shop and was impressed. Plus Black Forest Porsche have used their services. Another plus, they have specifically worked on Boxsters. I've looked around and even thought of going to TJ, but I couldn't do that to my Box.

On a scarier note, Pioneer Porsche quoted me upwards of 2K.

-Ed