Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #1
Who's askin'?

Should I dial-out this play in my shifter?

Hey y'all. So, I was swapping shift cables, asd I have a set with half the miles on them from a parts car. I'm also waiting for Ben's new side- bushing to arrive from uniwerks.
In the meantime two questions y'all could weigh in on?

1. See the short video below. You'll see some fore-aft "slop". About an 1/8". If I'm seeing the parts correctly, I can dial that out with the studs in the ends of the cups?
Any reason I shouldn't? I mean, does the shifter bind if it's tightened up, or something?
https://youtu.be/wlc0Q_xY890

2. I took the cables out weeks ago..... and I'm older than I used to be, hahaha. Somebody check me: left cable (white) goes to the "front" lever on the 6-spd trans, and the right cable (geen) goes on the rear, correct?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
Who's askin'?

Nevermind..... I looked again. That play is there to stay. No adjustment.

Sorry.... long day. Cold garage. Haha

Old 01-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #3
Racer Boy

Maytag, have you used the short shifter on-track yet? I have a short shifter, and am thinking about getting rid of it. The throws are so short, which is fine for the street, but on-track it's easy to get the wrong gear when you are busy trail-braking and steering into a corner and you need to downshift. I'll admit that I'm rusty, but it just takes too much focus on shifting to keep from blowing a shift. I never grabbed the wrong gear when I had the stock shifter.

From what I've read, the 987 shifter is right between the stock shifter and Ben's shifter. Maybe I'll get one of those.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:47 PM   #4
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
I've got the Ben's shifter on my track 986, and you'd have to pay me an awful lot to go back to the stock shifter. I had an issue with the stock shifter of hitting the gap between first and third when going up from second. No problems since I got the short shifter.
WizardSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:00 AM   #5
Who's askin'?

Hmmmmm....... interesting question.
Yes. I've used the short shifter on track. But I haven't used the stock shifter on track, so I can't really compare.

I DO have the occasional difficult time getting into the correct gear while downshifting... but until you asked that question, I was ready to just simply chalk that up to "need more seat time". I am still working on muscle memory to help slow things down a bit. When I'm heel- toeing, blipping for 2 down shifts, starting my turn-in, etc.... it still feels a little frenetic on occasion. And this is when I sometimes grab the wrong gear. (Yeah.... the WORST time to do it. Hahaha)

Old 01-20-2020, 05:12 AM   #6

I've used stock shifter (rubbery and worn out), 987 shifter, much better, Ben's shifter, even better. Used all 3 extensively on track. Ben's is my favorite on the boxster.

On my Cayman I'm still on my original shifter, I have a 2nd Ben's but haven't been in a rush to install it since the Cayman shifter has been working well (even better than when I had one on the boxster somehow). And I subsequently scored a deal on a numeric shifter, so that will probably go in at some point...

I highly recommend Ben's and while I don't have the side bushing I'm sure it is great too.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:36 PM   #7

How does Bens compare to a B+M?
Old 01-20-2020, 07:16 PM   #8
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
How does Bens compare to a B+M?
Everything I hear is that Ben's is far superior. But I've only ever experienced Ben's.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:54 AM   #9

This is what I used on my CSS. Huge improvement from stock. Not sure how it compares to Ben's, but this was up there on the best $300 I've spent.

FUNCTION-FIRST > Shift-Right Solution
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:13 AM   #10

Ben is about to finalize a prototype which I'm sure will involve stability. He haven't given much details in his last comment although I'm sure someone can ask and/or propose improvement(s). Best time to do so now imo i.e. while he's busy improving his already good shift kit!

http://986forum.com/forums/609908-post695.html
Old 01-22-2020, 03:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Everything I hear is that Ben's is far superior. But I've only ever experienced Ben's.

The B+M is extremely short and does not work well with my 6 speed. I was wondering if Bens is less so. Would it be similar to the 997 SSK which I have been using for a while?

The 997 SSK is now worn and needs metal bushings.

An extended shift knob really makes the difference on six speeds.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:20 PM   #12
Who's askin'?

Does anyone have the installation instructions for Ben's side lever?
I'd sure love to review it before opening it all up. The package didn't come with anything but stickers. ;-)