Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #1

RMS healed?

About two months ago I had my '97 in for a coolant hose replacement and inspection. Dealer showed me while the car was elevated an RMS leak and some seepage around the oil pan cover. I had told him I had a spotted garage floor, but just a few dime sized drops.THe amount of wetness was minimal and the tech said, "if this were my car I would not replace the seals and just keep an eye on it." Well it has been over eight weeks now and I have not seen one spot on the garage floor since. This car was a "garage queen" when I purchased it last November with less than 10,000 miles. I initially drove it as it were new and needed to observe a break in period. Is it possible that the seals were dry and driving it daily, as I do, corrected the leak? Other than that hose replacement, ignition switch, and a bad radiator cap, it's been fine. Near 19,000 now and no issues. Ever heard of this?

Old 10-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #2

Yup, I have a similar situation. I bought a 2002 S and in June it put a couple drops of oil on the ground. I took it to the dealer they said they couldn't find anything and it didn't leak again until September 1st (1 day after my warranty expired). I took it to another dealer and they confirmed a RMS leak. I asked them to approach Porsche to see about helping with the repair bill and since Porsche had not responded in 2 weeks I went and picked up my car. It hasn't leaked a drop since (I've driven it sparingly ever since I picked it up).

BTW - I am still waiting for Porsche to respond to the dealer from when I brought the car in over a month ago.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #3

Oh well, RMS leak, who cares...the Bears are undefeated!! I am originally from the Chicago area, and an NIU Huskie alumn. Good luck with PCA. They really like to mail stuff but phone calls? Forget it!
Old 10-09-2006, 02:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdancd816
Oh well, RMS leak, who cares...the Bears are undefeated!! I am originally from the Chicago area, and an NIU Huskie alumn. Good luck with PCA. They really like to mail stuff but phone calls? Forget it!
You do have a point there...

Bear down, Chicago Bears!!!

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote