Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #1

Turbocharger Kit Updates

Hello everyone.

Thank you for your interest and participation with our last thread regarding the turbo kit for the Boxster 986/987.

My main goals for this project (assuming there is enough interest) are the following:

*49 state legal: the only reason I’m not going for 50 is because Cali might drive the price through the roof for such a short run of kits. Sorry, I didn’t make their standards what they are. The Boxster is a fine vehicle and should be driven on the street, there are plenty of fast stripped out illegal vehicles out there...although, this is not the crowd.

*Reliable: I fully understand that the Boxster engine is tough but was never intended for massive amounts of boost. However, with a little boost we can still get some reliable gains and run pump gas. You cannot find another engine for $500 bucks at the local wrecking yard like a Honda.

*Streetable: Mid engine cars do not need spastic powerbands. Let the Supra owners rule the dynos.

*Efficient power: comparing some of the other F.I. units currently available, they are all decently efficient per psi but none are "exceptional". Of the ones available, none have intercoolers included. All of the kits range from 5k+.

*Quiet: Little to no noise under partial throttle or at idle. Eaton blowers like to whine on mild throttle, Procharger C-1 units like to whine ALL the time.

Update 10/06/06

We have been discussing ideas with our manufacturers on the project. The more we look at the underpinnings/exhaust system of the Boxster (current test mule is a 2.7), the more it seems a few of our requirements will have to be compromised if we stick to the current plan.

In efforts to keep the 49 state legal/check engine light free goal the main converters must not be removed. I know, from a federal viewpoint any tampering with the factory emission equipment is considered illegal...however w/o check engine lights or extra smog its close enough to be considered a street kit. The pre-cats (like the MR2 Spyder) are really meant more for cold-start 50 state certification purposes. In the case of the MR-S they mostly just fall appart and cause engine failures...but that’s another story.

Our options with this problem include: sacrificing emissions for max power, sacrificing even more power for emissions.

I don’t like either option and in order to keep every goal in place we have to look elsewhere for power. At the moment I am having our manufacturer looking at the possibility of making a supercharger bracket (I know, I know) for a Rotrex C30 unit.

Calling a Rotrex supercharger a simple centrifugal supercharger is like calling a Pentium computer a "power typewriter". These are almost dead quiet, have a self-lubricating sump (no tapping the oil pan), and have a 120,000 impeller rpms capacity (C30).

These are incredibly compact, extremely reliable, and up to 98% efficient. These have been used on M3's, 350Z's, etc to make huge power. A MR2 Spyder on Spyderchat.com used a C30-94 to put 250 whp out of a glorified Corolla 1.8 with a factory catalyst header and air-to-air intercooler (9psi). Our kit would include the same air-to-water intercooler as the turbo kit.

I really wanted the turbo concept to work out. In many ways it would offer the versatility, mid range torque, and aesthetic appeal that the Boxster/Cayman somewhat lacks from its 911 big brother.

In many ways the Rotrex could provide more seamless reliability, less noise, and just as much efficiency as the turbo system. From the trim designs these are nearly identical to turbochargers. Due to design, these do not offer the same mid range that a turbo could. However, with exception to a twin-screw blower these out-muscle all the others.

Lets see what happens.

Blake
Race By Design
www.myspace.com/racebydesign
racebydesign@yahoo.com

RacebyDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #2

10-22-06

Hello everyone,

Last news received from our potential manufacturer he was checking with Rotrex about having a custom compressor trim being done on their end.

The Rotrex compressors are better suited to higher boost due to their turbo-like vane style. We are hoping they can put something together that would better suite the engine, giving significantly better low-mid range power/torque.

The more I deal with manufacturers, the more it reminds me of the Department of Motor Vehicles: you take a number and sit there....forever. I have a similar thing going with Enkei and if its not the Yen, language barrier, or "waiting for the manager to sign off"', it something else.

In the meantime, our team is going to focus on bringing more fun things to the table and hope this pans out over time. We would like to see a couple more boosted Boxsters as much as anyone.

We hope everyone gets their last bit of racing done before winter hits and the Boxsters go into hibernation.

Sincerely,

Blake Erven
Race By Design
www.myspace.com/racebydesign
Old 10-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #3

Any target pricepoint / power range you are shooting for?

<< interested.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:32 PM   #4

Don't forget us 2.5 engined boxster owners while you're doing your planning. We're the oldest of the bunch and we need the power more than anyone, and we're probably more interested in buying a bolt-on forced induction system as well!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #5

We wont aim to leave anyone out, especially the 2.5 folks.

I dont want to give many details until we get them ourselves. That way there is less foot-eating involved.

It would be priced similar to the other kits on the market but have a water-to-air intercooler system.

Blake Erven
Race By Design