Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #1

Litronic Bulb Question

After an incident, my right side factory-equipped litronic light was replaced. The problem is the new passenger side and driver side low beam color does not match. The old light is closer to white with a slight green tint to it while the older driver side light is much more purple. The car is a MY2000 w/ 76M Miles.

Here are some other facts:
1) Both lights turned on for the first time after being off for a few hours starts of the same purplish color with the newer light turning to a lighter color within minutes, while the older light stayed relatively purple.

2) Both light output seems the same

3) Pulled the bulbs out and discovered that they have different part numbers on them:

Left Bulb (older):
Philips Germany D2S 35W E 85123 e1 03V 9MO1

Right Bulb (newer)
Philips Germany D2S 35W 85122 e1 03V M407

Can someone please tell me the if the difference in color is just due to the difference in the age of the lights or is it because of the different part# found on the bulbs? Thank you.

GWPORSCHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWPORSCHE
After an incident, my right side factory-equipped litronic light was replaced. The problem is the new passenger side and driver side low beam color does not match. The old light is closer to white with a slight green tint to it while the older driver side light is much more purple. The car is a MY2000 w/ 76M Miles.

Here are some other facts:
1) Both lights turned on for the first time after being off for a few hours starts of the same purplish color with the newer light turning to a lighter color within minutes, while the older light stayed relatively purple.

2) Both light output seems the same

3) Pulled the bulbs out and discovered that they have different part numbers on them:

Left Bulb (older):
Philips Germany D2S 35W E 85123 e1 03V 9MO1

Right Bulb (newer)
Philips Germany D2S 35W 85122 e1 03V M407

Can someone please tell me the if the difference in color is just due to the difference in the age of the lights or is it because of the different part# found on the bulbs? Thank you.
First off, HID lamps (and fluorescent for that matter) do change color as they age. That may or may not be all of the story.

Regarding the part numbers- I can't be positive about all of this since it was a bit difficult to track down automotive part numbers for Phillips for a German product- and I don't have my Phillips catalog with me right now.

D2S is simply the lamp type describing the size and base (like T8, T4, H4, etc). Obviously 35W is the wattage. Now, from what I could discern, 85122 is a 4100K lamp while 85123 is a 4900K lamp. The "K" represents the color "temperature" of the lamp in degrees Kelvin. If you consider the flame of a lighter, you'll notice that it goes from white, to blue, to orange the further from the center you get. As such, I would expect the 4900K (85123) lamp to be whiter than the 4100K (85122) lamp.

So, to really answer your question:
1. Yes, it's because of the age differential.
2. Yes, it's because they probably are different lamps with different colors.

Hope that helps.

BTW, I know that this wasn't an issue of the lamp burning out, but in general I would recommend replacing both lamps at the same time (providing cost isn't too big of an issue).

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #3

Theoretically, the 4100K light is the "closest" to natural white, and as you go up (to 4900K, for example) it becomes more purplish. BMWs usually tend to have at least 4900K bulbs, which is why they look so purplish when you see them oncoming.

But I also agree, you should change bulbs in pairs whenever possible to make sure you have matching colors and to match their life. But Xenon bulbs are pretty expensive...
chiefsalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsalami
Theoretically, the 4100K light is the "closest" to natural white, and as you go up (to 4900K, for example) it becomes more purplish. BMWs usually tend to have at least 4900K bulbs, which is why they look so purplish when you see them oncoming.

But I also agree, you should change bulbs in pairs whenever possible to make sure you have matching colors and to match their life. But Xenon bulbs are pretty expensive...
Ehhh... 4100K is certainly "white" but quite a bit lower than where most professional bodies put natural daylight which would be 5000K - 5600K, where 5000K is "noon" and 5600K which is "nominal sunlight".

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:43 AM   #5

Thank you for all your feedback. Unfortunately, the insurance company will be hesitant to replace bulbs that are not broken. I may have to buy the pair myself. Any good suggestion to the type and place to get them (online or in Southern California?)
GWPORSCHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #6

Try suncoast porsche.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote