Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #1

How long?

I have a 98 2.5L boxster, and I primarily use it for normal commute. I don't race on the streets, I rarely exceed 5000RPM, and I barely ever take advantage of the great handling. In summary, I don't drive my car hard.

I'm always on time to do normal maintenance on it (e.g. oil change, sparks, air filter); recently, I fixed the oil separator problem.

But how long do you guys think this car can normally last? I was thinking of getting my clutch replaced, but that would cost about $1400. I don't know if I should just trade it in for something else now because for the next 3 years or so, I will need something realiable since I will not be working anymore (full time schooling).

OOPs forgot to mention. I am at aroud 89,000 miles.

Last edited by ralegen; 09-27-2006 at 05:04 PM.
ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:25 PM   #2

Good question,

I'm same as you except with 90,000 kms. What about your clutch? How do you know that you need a replacement? Is it because of the mileage or is there a symptom that has you concerned? I found my clutch disengages completely at the end of the pedal travel. The guy I bought it from claims that the clutch was just replaced.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralegen
I have a 98 2.5L boxster, and I primarily use it for normal commute. I don't race on the streets, I rarely exceed 5000RPM, and I barely ever take advantage of the great handling. In summary, I don't drive my car hard.
I don't know if I should just trade it in for something else now because for the next 3 years or so, I will need something realiable since I will not be working anymore (full time schooling).

If I were you I'd trade it in on a Honda Accord.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
If I were you I'd trade it in on a Honda Accord.
Hi,

I agree, no joke. Given what you describe as your needs and obligations over the next few years, this is very sound advice. There'll be lots of time for Fun cars in the future, and gives you a good goal. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:10 PM   #5

Many people at work has also said that. Maybe a lease even.. There's a deal on the Accord coupe.. (lease for $199 a month .. about $2500? due at signing. ) and I"m sure there will be more deals in the next couple of months for all sorts of cars. They just introduced the new Altima, and I don't see anything wrong with getting the older model (i.e. 2006).

As for my clutch, the mileage had to do a good bit. Plus the pedal is very stiff. Sometimes.. but only sometimes does the clutch feel like it's slipping. Kinda of like a vibration without movement, during 1st gear engagement.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:54 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralegen
As for my clutch, the mileage had to do a good bit. Plus the pedal is very stiff. Sometimes.. but only sometimes does the clutch feel like it's slipping. Kinda of like a vibration without movement, during 1st gear engagement.
Thats a indication of the clutch going out. Check eBay for OEM Sachs clutch kit before anywhere else. $283 at your door step.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SACHS-Porsche-Boxster-2-5L-97-99-BRAND-NEW-Clutch-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ007QQitem Z170032615162QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I heard its about 6-8 hour of labor. I hope it saves you some money.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Standard shift Accords are almost fun...
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #8

Kinda thinking of a camry now. $1100 due at time of lease, about $380 a month for a V6 LE. Not bad.. but damn... If i were to keep the porsche , then I can refinance, and pay around $250 for it.. .....

I was wrong about the Accord price. It's

$249.00 per month for 36 months. $1,899.00 total due at signing for a V6.
$239.00 per month for 36 months. $1,499.00 total due at signing for a coupe 4cyl.

Last edited by ralegen; 09-28-2006 at 03:52 PM.