Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #1

Softronic upgrade,.

Has anyone tried this upgrade on a 02' 2.7 ltr,..thanks frank

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #2

anyone,..No one..?? so it must be bogus,.??
Old 03-31-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
I looked at the Softronic. It's kind of expensive IMO. I did call them and talked to the guy that does the tunes, he was very respectful and didn't try to get off the phone with me or act like I was taking up his time. I am going to call him back as I have another question. The kit uses a Durametric tool to apply the tune and I now have the Durametric tool. So I am wondering if I could just get the tune from him and use my Durametric tool to apply the tune and save some money on the cost.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:38 PM   #4
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Durametric says that their software can’t be used to code. I think that there may be variations made specifically for companies like Softronic to upload codes. I may be totally wrong about this.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:12 PM   #5

Garage
Softronic's sends you a loader that connects the ECU through the Durametrics cable to their website. So the Durametrics cable and software is not used to program, it only is a communications device.

I have a Softronics Flash but it is not for a 2.7. It is the 2004 Aniversary editions with compression change, 987 Intake, exhaust mods, larger cylinders. I'm not sure I would spend the money on a Flash on a 2.7. I flashed mine to get the most out of a total engine mod. I am satisfied with the outcome.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 03-31-2019 at 05:14 PM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:45 PM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Softronic's sends you a loader that connects the ECU through the Durametrics cable to their website. So the Durametrics cable and software is not used to program, it only is a communications device.

I have a Softronics Flash but it is not for a 2.7. It is the 2004 Aniversary editions with compression change, 987 Intake, exhaust mods, larger cylinders. I'm not sure I would spend the money on a Flash on a 2.7. I flashed mine to get the most out of a total engine mod. I am satisfied with the outcome.
I understand that the Durametric software would not be used, but I don't see why my Durametric tool can't be used. That has to be a big part of the cost for the tune package. So I would think they could offer a tune package to people that already have a Durametric tool?

As you can see in my signature I have many mods done to my car, pretty much what you have, except for the larger cylinders. What do you think the tune they sent you did for you?
Old 04-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #7

Garage
I guess I see your point why get a Single serial number cable if you currently have a good enthusiast cable. I don't know how much they would take off if you didn't get the cable as part of the package.

After the motor was completed the second round 2014 I believe. I had a dyno done at the tuners near where I live after it was completed. 289 Ftlb torque and 322 Hp best of 3 runs

The first time I rebuilt the motor I did the 3.6 Nickies and the heads but did not replace any lifters only valves springs retainers and ground the surfaces. I started to notice lifters tapping at the end of the second season on track. I took it back apart replaced the heads with 2006 S heads with 11,000 original miles on them, Carrilo H beam rods, and all new seals and rings. It spins about 8 lb less weight. than OEM because of the rods, pistons, and Carrilo rods
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #8

I have a 06 Boxster with the 3.2 totally stock and installed the tune from
Softronic and really like it.Have had it all last summer maybe 6000k and no issues so far.I definitely noticed the car had more snap, crisper cleaner throttle response and the sound of the motor is angrier and slightly louder when on the throttle hard, sounds amazing !
I cant comment on the advertised increase of HP or Torque numbers as I have not and will never do a dyno to know but theres definitely a seat of the pants increase and the car is just more enjoyable to drive now.I definitely would do it again.I dont track the car and never will but its a lot more fun as a daily driver in the summer.I did find it pretty complicated to install and had to keep calling Softronic and he eventually found there was a glitch in the something that wouldn't let me install. They finally got it to take and its been all good since then. I was pretty frustrated at the time if I recall and was considering sending it back.But everything worked out in the end, glad I stuck it out!

Last edited by moresquirt; 04-12-2019 at 11:16 AM.
moresquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Most owners consider it to be fairly expensive for the small increase in power. As such, it's not a popular upgrade.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:44 AM   #10

Garage
I think a flash works better with an intake & exhaust upgrade rather than with stock
Old 04-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #11
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
I think a flash works better with an intake & exhaust upgrade rather than with stock
But $900 for the Softronic tune? How much is that $900 going to gain you with these mods?
Old 04-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
But $900 for the Softronic tune? How much is that $900 going to gain you with these mods?
Does not have to be Softronic; there are a variety of tunes in the market. All would be cost effective (depending how much one is willing to spend) with intake/exhaust upgrades
Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #13

I would do a 987 Air box and plenum upgrade but only if its noticeable. Iam happy with the 2.7 But if I could do A LOT BETTER with a couple of mods I would consider it,..but Iam not wanting to change out Exhaust Etc if that is the only way,.I would just go with a bigger engine,.. I just want to do some quick easy Mods that work,.! Thanks Frank
Old 04-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #14
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
I would do a 987 Air box and plenum upgrade but only if its noticeable. Iam happy with the 2.7 But if I could do A LOT BETTER with a couple of mods I would consider it,..but Iam not wanting to change out Exhaust Etc if that is the only way,.I would just go with a bigger engine,.. I just want to do some quick easy Mods that work,.! Thanks Frank
Doing the 987 air box change is not a quick and easy job, however the payback in performance was worth every bit of time I spent doing it. I did that mod before I did the exhaust and it I was very impressed with the mod. Now that's with a 3.2 engine, not sure how much a 2.7 would gain.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:28 PM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

10-15hp increase for the flash alone.

I got another 6-8 hp from a $300 catback muffler (and have the dyno tests to back it up) but only above 5000 rpm.

Any hp increase from intake mods (like air box) are debatable unless you go to a larger throttle body.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 04-15-2019 at 08:36 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:10 AM   #16
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post

I got another 6-8 hp from a $300 catback muffler (and have the dyno tests to back it up) but only above 5000 rpm.

Any hp increase from intake mods (like air box) are debatable unless you go to a larger throttle body.
Is this on a 2.5? I haven't changed the air box, but i did install the larger throttle body from a 996. I'd consider doing headers and hi flow or no cats. I have an indy with the Porsche scan tool that can code ROW or any other tune the car will take. He is also a Softonic installer. Hmmmm.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #17

My indie was gonna push a ROW tune for me recently, but the dealer could not be persuaded to release the DME programming codes, even when I personally approached the service mgr directly with car title in-hand, first citing liability concerns and then bluntly stating that they wanted to protect their profits so why should they release the codes if they don't have to, since it was just giving away business. I was pissed off, I own the entire car outright and feel I should be given full access to do whatever the hell I want with it. I now order my parts from the net.
PS apparently they feel key programming is enuf of a PIA and little enough profit that they WILL release these codes. Go figure.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #18
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post

For sure, if you're going to do the 987 air box swap, you need to do a full intake upgrade to take advantage of the larger air box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
My indie was gonna push a ROW tune for me recently, but the dealer could not be persuaded to release the DME programming codes, even when I personally approached the service mgr directly with car title in-hand, first citing liability concerns and then bluntly stating that they wanted to protect their profits so why should they release the codes if they don't have to, since it was just giving away business. I was pissed off, I own the entire car outright and feel I should be given full access to do whatever the hell I want with it. I now order my parts from the net.
PS apparently they feel key programming is enuf of a PIA and little enough profit that they WILL release these codes. Go figure.
I called my Porsche dealer parts section and it sends me straight to a voice mail. I called them about getting a new key fob programmed for my car. I think I have left 5 messages and never received a call back. There is only one Porsche dealer near me and it's 30 min away. I'm just going to drive there one day and see what's going on with them not answering the phone, never calling me back and see if I can get my key fob programed while I'm there.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #19
Need For Speed

Garage
That post reminded me to call the Porsche dealer back. They sent to me the same number and got the same voicemail. I didn't even leave a message and called the main number back and told her that I have left 5 or more messages on that voicemail and never received a call back. She took my name and number to have someone call me. I also mentioned I have a blank key I need cut and she said I needed to talk to the parts department on that. So she transferred me to that department and the guy said they don't cut Porsche keys. I would have to order they key cut directly from Porsche. I asked how much that was and he said $150 lolololol. Don't lose your key fob or you're looking at over $300 for parts and labor to replace it.

He did mention a locksmith's name he said used to cut Porsche keys. I'll give that place a call if I can find the number.

EDIT: Ha ha, just called the locksmith and he said no problem to cut me a new key and $10 to do it. Hell, I'll toss the guy a $20 bill, tell him no receipt needed and lunch is on me.

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-17-2019 at 10:08 AM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
For a 3.2, my impressions are that this tune is geared to work with the stock intake and stock 68mm TB. It gives a nice snap crackle pop on the overrun if you have right exhaust set up (2nd cat delete + bypass)

It did not adapt well to a larger 997 diverter tee and 74mm TB.