Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2019, 08:23 AM   #1

Switched +12v in a 987.2...

Is there a good place aside from the fuse box where I can find a switched +12v lead?

I hear there's one under the shift boot or parking brake? An orange one apparently? Any others? Is there one under the dash near the CDR30? I found which pin of the quad-block on the CDR30 it should be but there's no wire running to it. The CDR30 only has +12v direct (always hot).

I'm trying to add a BlueTooth receiver that will turn off when I pull the key or turn off the engine. Basically I want it to act just like the CDR30.

I currently have it wired into the 12V port in the passenger's footwell... but that power doesn't drop until the draw stops. Once I turn off the BT receiver the line goes cold and I can't turn it back on until key on, but it stays hot as long as there's draw... so it could eventually drain my battery.

Thanks in advance. I've looked through a number of articles about adding radar detectors etc but so far they all tap right at the fuse box. I can do that... but I'd rather not.

M1Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:40 PM   #2

I'm curious to know what you find as i am looking for power near there as well for dashcam and other switched items. On the 986 there is a nice plug for the optional mobile phone but i doubt 987.2 has it.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #3

Well... the best place is fuse pane and there are a number of unused +12v slots to select from... plus doing so from there ensures you're not overdrawing on another circuit. From here it's easy enough to pull a line anywhere along the dash, up the door jamb and/or a-pillar and across the windshield or wherever you want. I do that for my V1 in each car.

That said and again not a fan but there are a few different companies selling add on taps used to pull juice from either the mirror and/or homelink for powering up radar detectors, dash cams, etc. You can easily replicate using a multimeter. Search on the following in this forum or on any search engine for details: invisicord, mirror tap or blend mount.

Good luck
Old 04-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #4

Thanks dude .

Maybe I will go ahead and use the fuse panel after all. Any suggestion on which one to use? I'd very much prefer one that operates with the key so my Bluetooth addition doesn't drain my battery.

My car is an '09 base with basically no options at all, but with the base CDR30.

Thanks in advance.
M1Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #5

Sorry, do not own an '09 Boxster so cannot tell you exactly. However, the guide should be on back of fuse cover panel and or in your manual. There will be more than a few empty blanks to choose from which are keyed w/ ignition (a couple always on too). Look for blanks on fuse guide which should be keyed and are not on your vehicle... or simply test w/ a multimeter and your ignition key

Then, either use a "fuse tap" or a simple a .25" male spade terminal on the line side (w/ an inline fuse of course) to your accessory. A ground point is just adjacent to the fuse panel as well (there was in my 997.1 at least and imagine there would be as well in other 9x7 variants). You'll have to remove the surrounding carpeted panel but as I recall it's only a screw hidden behind the fuse panel access cover and maybe a clip or two.

Good luck