Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #1

New Porsche AOS reading 5.3 WC - opinions??

After replacing my ver.00 AOS with a new Porsche Genuine AOS ver.01 I was disappointed to find that the new AOS was still reading between 6.21 and 7.28 inWC. Pretty much what the old one was reading. Here’s my original thread:

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/69866-if-ain%92t-broke-don%92t-fix.html

Not trusting my $35 manometer, I ordered a Fieldpiece manometer. With the Fieldpiece my new AOS is reading in the high fives cold and 5.32 - 5.41 warm. The cheap manometer is off by ~1 inWC

JFP indicated that anything above 5.0 warm is candidate for replacement. The Pelican article says 4-7 is ok. I think I’m going to call it good at 5.32, watching for symptoms and monitoring WC regularly. I really don’t want to go back in and risk breaking the AOS plastic squeeze clamps unless I really need to.

What do you guys think???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 01-26-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
After replacing my ver.00 AOS with a new Porsche Genuine AOS ver.01 I was disappointed to find that the new AOS was still reading between 6.21 and 7.28 WC. Pretty much what the old one was reading. Here’s my original thread:

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/69866-if-ain%92t-broke-don%92t-fix.html

Not trusting my $35 manometer, I ordered a Fieldpiece manometer. With the Fieldpiece my new AOS is reading in the high fives cold and 5.32 - 5.41 warm. The cheap manometer is off by ~1WC

JPF indicated that anything above 5.0 warm is candidate for replacement. The Pelican article says 4-7 is ok. I think I’m going to call it good at 5.32, watching for symptoms and monitoring WC regularly. I really don’t want to go back in and risk breaking the AOS plastic squeeze clamps unless I really need to.

What do you guys think???

4-7 is OK on a cold start, but 5 is our limit warmed up. Yours is marginal, so I would leave it alone, but check it regularly to see if starts going up.

Nice manometer by-the-by.....

Last edited by JFP in PA; 01-26-2018 at 02:42 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
4-7 is OK on a cold start, but 5 is our limit warmed up. Yours is marginal, so I would leave it alone, but check it regularly to see if starts going up.

Nice manometer by-the-by.....
Hi JFP, thanks for the quick response. Good news! I’ll leave it and monitor. At least I’m within spec for the cold start and now I have the latest version.

The Fieldpiece is awesome, thanks. I know better than to try and cheap out on important equipment but I slip sometimes.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Old 04-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #4

Quick update. I finally checked the vacuum with the car fully warmed up. As JFP advised, it’s just like the cam variance - only check it when the car is truly at operating temp after a good run. My new AOS is well in spec:

Done!

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 04-29-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:21 AM   #5

I have owned 996’s and a 997, but I am not familiar with this AOS test.

I am having a PPI done next week on a 986. Is this test routinely done as part of a PPI? If not, do I just request an AOS manometer test?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryRed997 View Post
I have owned 996’s and a 997, but I am not familiar with this AOS test.

I am having a PPI done next week on a 986. Is this test routinely done as part of a PPI? If not, do I just request an AOS manometer test?

Thanks.
It should be, but it never hurts to ask. We check the AOS on every car passing through the shop, regardless what it is in for. Only takes a min.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:27 AM   #7

Many thanks!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:27 PM   #8

What’s the best way to connect the manometer to gain the reading?
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
What’s the best way to connect the manometer to gain the reading?
An old oil fill cap with a fitting mounted to it.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:11 AM   #10

Besides the AOS, what can the Fieldpiece manometer help you diagnose on a vehicle?
Old 05-01-2018, 07:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Besides the AOS, what can the Fieldpiece manometer help you diagnose on a vehicle?
A digital manometer can read both pressure and vacuum very accurately, so anywhere you would be testing either. Its major advantage is in the fact that it can read very low levels of either.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
An old oil fill cap with a fitting mounted to it.
Thanks! That's what I figured!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #13

-deleted post, wrong message thread-

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 03-03-2019 at 09:08 AM.