Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #1

D r o n e . . .

Not to beat this topic down again, but just another experience to add to the mix. And I know one man’s drone is another man’s O sound, so obviously YMMV.

A few years ago I got the cat delete pipes and exhaust off of eBay that many people love/hate. I installed them and was happy with the sound change. I installed them using BruceH’s suggestion of using easy seal clamps. Well the past year it was seriously droning and driving me crazy to the point of contemplating taking it all off. As you may know the last year I also got a camaro zl1 and usually like to drive around with the exhaust mode in the “Track” setting. So I’m no sensitive ear guy as long as it sounds good. Well the boxster was droning in the range that everyone usually talks about - 2000-2900 rpm.

Guess how I fixed it.

I retightened the easy seal bolts. Somewhere in all the posts about exhausts that I read someone, maybe even BruceH, said something was probably leaky in the setup. I thought I would give retightening bolts a try. And being the lazy man I am I decided to try the ones I could reach without jacking the car up. I used a simple monkey wrench and found those bolts were loose, but not crazy loose.

Now it’s back to the way it was. Tame, near stock like sound during regular driving and awesome sound during WOT. It’s no 650hp camaro sound, but it is a better 250hp boxster s sound.

drill3r is offline   Reply With Quote