Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

Cranks but won't fire

Jumped in the car this morning & it cranks fine but won't fire.

It's obviously electrical but not sure what the possibilities are.

Will start with fuses & go from there.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #2

Take off the gas (petrol?) cap and listen at the fill neck for a whirring sound when the ignition is turned on. If there is no sound, then the fuel pump is not working. Check the fuse first.
When the engine is cranking, does the tachometer show any revs? If not, then the crank position sensor is not working.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:31 PM   #3

I had the same situation several months ago. Diagnose this methodically. Think spark, fuel and then air/electrical. If fuses check out and it's not the crank position sensor then start with spark. Easy to pull a coil pack and shove a grounded plug into it and crank the engine. Look for a nice blue spark.

Next pull the fuel pump relay and jumper it. It's another check to what Spinnaker said but with your head in the footwell, you should hear the pump turn on as soon as you jumper the relay. If the pump runs, you're probably getting fuel so Che k the relay for continuity and function. Energize it and see if it clicks (relays are making contact). If not, bad relay. Just because your fuel pump runs doesn't mean you are getting fuel (ask me how I know). Check fuel pressure. My problem turned out to be a stuck fuel pressure relay. Good luck...
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #4

Garage
CPS sends a tach signal. IIRC from when mine died - you should see a blip on tach if it is sending a signal. On the other hand - my original durametric worked only once and that was able to I’d the failed CPS.