Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #1

Cat bypass with resonator

I was seraching ebay for the cicuit werks bypass pipes, and found they also offer a bypass pipe with resonators. Looks like a cat but is a fesonator, was curious what that supposed to do? Does it change the sound, or is it more affective?

Old 04-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
In Europe these sections are the cats. I guess it's easy to make from the same tooling but simply not put the cat core inside. Stick some snazzy marketing words in the advert and hey presto a new product line.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:09 PM   #3

Resonator changes the frequency of the sound - Less drone sound. Mufflers makes the car quiet.

I just have resonators on my autox Boxster after the precats and no mufflers at all. My complete exhaust weights just 17lbs including the test pipe section and resonators. It is loud, but not super loud like an uncorked car. I could not daily drive the Boxster due to the heavy drone. Driving the car to the track or autox is bearable since I only do it once or twice a month.

Before my current setup, I had the eBay bypass pipes with no resonators and the eBay muffler. No drone what so ever. I was quite surprised. The only bad thing about the Chinese ebay exhaust stuff is the fit. I had to fab mine a little and make a custom mount to make it fit perfectly. I might be a little picky too....

Last edited by SoloPierre; 04-11-2018 at 02:17 PM.
SoloPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #4

I don’t think these cut down on sound as much as they ‘look’ like cats so you can pass the visual emissions check in states that inspect the exhaust.

Last edited by Stroked & Blown; 04-14-2022 at 06:18 AM.
Stroked & Blown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPierre View Post
Resonator changes the frequency of the sound - Less drone sound. Mufflers makes the car quiet.

I just have resonators on my autox Boxster after the precats and no mufflers at all. My complete exhaust weights just 17lbs including the test pipe section and resonators. It is loud, but not super loud like an uncorked car. I could not daily drive the Boxster due to the heavy drone. Driving the car to the track or autox is bearable since I only do it once or twice a month.

Before my current setup, I had the eBay bypass pipes with no resonators and the eBay muffler. No drone what so ever. I was quite surprised. The only bad thing about the Chinese ebay exhaust stuff is the fit. I had to fab mine a little and make a custom mount to make it fit perfectly. I might be a little picky too....
Thanks for the replies. Theses are cat bypass with resonator, so I think they are intended to be used with the muffer in place. Just have not seen these before in this way.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #6

If you are running a muffler that is known to drone, you might consider the test pipes with resonators. I ran the the cheap eBay test pipes (no resonators) and eBay muffler, and I had no droning what do ever. If you running a stock muf, skip the resonators. If you are running something like a GLH muffler that is known to drone, I would consider the test pipes with the resonators.

Last edited by SoloPierre; 04-12-2018 at 11:48 AM.
SoloPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
2000 Boxster S

Garage
I live in California and just bought the Top Speed "test" pipes. Called the well respected exhaust shop in the area and he said he cant install them, its illegal to remove even the secondary cats.

There is no way I can burn the existing rusted bolts off without professional help (in more ways than one, ha!)

Any tricks you all could share?
Booker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker42 View Post
I live in California and just bought the Top Speed "test" pipes. Called the well respected exhaust shop in the area and he said he cant install them, its illegal to remove even the secondary cats.

There is no way I can burn the existing rusted bolts off without professional help (in more ways than one, ha!)

Yeah illegal in cali for sure. Probably wont work but you could try soaking them with wd40 or some type of penetration lube let it sit for a couple of hours, see if that would work.

Look for a not so respectable shop, to cut the bolts for you.

Tell them you need you are installing because you will be tracking the car, so you will be switching in and out. I am sure thats belevable.

Myself have not had them installed, so good luck.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:10 PM   #9

Seems I recall the bolts at the triangular plate are splined at the base and pressed in, so inspect yours and if this applies, turn the nut not the bolt.
Pretty sure I replaced with normal non-splined bolts. Was a while back.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:37 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:

Try a welding shop. They can cut off the old bolts in about 2 mins and they usually could care less about what you're doing to your car or why.

Everything after that is a fairly easy DIY.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:37 AM   #11
2000 Boxster S

Garage
Thanks all, good advice!
Old 04-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Try a welding shop. They can cut off the old bolts in about 2 mins and they usually could care less about what you're doing to your car or why.

Everything after that is a fairly easy DIY.
You also should be able to cut them off with a Dremel...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #13

You could just pay them to remove and replace the bolts with fresh ones. Then carry on DIY replacement of the secondary cats.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
You could just pay them to remove and replace the bolts with fresh ones. Then carry on DIY replacement of the secondary cats.
That is a damn good idea, simple and to the point. Lol
Old 04-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #15
2000 Boxster S

Garage
Success, used Gilles Dremel idea for the bottom two bolts and used brute force to break the top bolt with a 13mm socket and a breaker bar. After that, the job was easy. After reading several post on the subject, I got the 2" Easy Clamps and they worked great.

Thanks again to all for the help!
Old 04-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #16

I cut my rusty bolts off with a metal blade in a sawsall.
rocartfe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
I was seraching ebay for the cicuit werks bypass pipes, and found they also offer a bypass pipe with resonators. Looks like a cat but is a fesonator, was curious what that supposed to do? Does it change the sound, or is it more affective?
I have a set of these Circuit Werks secondary resonator pipes on order and incoming to me, arriving probably early next week.

I can take some pictures and post here then, if you wish.

Thanks - DM
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
I have a set of these Circuit Werks secondary resonator pipes on order and incoming to me, arriving probably early next week.

Thanks - DM
Thanks I saw pictures, just curious of what the resonator id for and does to the tone.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #19
Racer Boy

Quote:
Success, used Gilles Dremel idea for the bottom two bolts and used brute force to break the top bolt with a 13mm socket and a breaker bar. After that, the job was easy. After reading several post on the subject, I got the 2" Easy Clamps and they worked great.

Thanks again to all for the help!
I just installed the non-resonator Circuit Werks pipes, and the passenger side stock pipe was a nightmare to get out. I too ended up cutting the clamps to get it apart. However the 2" Easy Clamp was too large and didn't work. How did you get yours to fit? I ended up getting the stock clamp from Pelican.

The driver's side was a breeze, only taking me about half an hour to replace. The clamps and pipes weren't rusted like the passenger side.

It does sound better, but it's pretty subtle. Hardly louder than stock, but the tone is better. I'm not sure why you would need the resonated secondary pipe.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post

Thanks - DM
Picture looking up the exhaust end of the resonator. As you can see, it is a straight thru design with no obstructions.

Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote