Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2006, 03:33 AM   #1

upgrade 2.5 to 3.2

Hello gentlemen. I have been considering options for upgrading my 986 2.5 with a SC. I've seen scatterings of posts regarding swapping engines for a 3.4/3.6

Has anyone converted a 2.5 to a 3.2?

Would anything else need to be done apart from "dropping the engine in" or would it litterally be a matter of ripping out the old engine out, putting the new egine in and turning the ignition key?

I wonder as to whether the ECU would need work, exhaust would be bolt on - i guess the tiptronic would be fine?

Anyway if anyone has any ideas about this or if anyone has done it I'd love to hear from you

Kind regards

oliverg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:27 AM   #2

I have yet to do what you want to do, but I sure have investigated it.

Going from a 2.5 to a 3.2 is gonna be expensive... you need the engine, new ECU, wiring harness, exhaust, yada yada yada. Moreover, the 3.2 is e-gas and your 2.5 is the conventional cable throttle type, so that would have to be changed as well.

Best bet for the engine swap is to go with a 3.4. More power, you can get a salvaged or rebuilt non e-gas version, and I bet the price will actually be lower than a 3.2 swap.

The TPC SC kit is 7k, and has low boost so it apparently does not burn out engines prematurely, but putting your foot in it all the time to enjoy the newfound speed can't elongate your engine life, that's for sure!

I'm headed in the SC direction, saving my pennies right now.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote