Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2006, 07:18 AM   #41

Very nice! Looking forward to the dyno charts.

One suggestion: from the pictures it looks like the sc is mounted very close to the headers and exhaust piping. I would be worried about the heat coking up the oil in the sc unit, and also the heat this adds to your intake air. Maybe you can fabricate a heatshield?

Gary

Gary Gaukler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #42

Not a bad idea, Gary... If you use a metal plate of some sort and it gets too close to either the s/c or the headers, you're gonna get a nasty rattle.. You could always use some form of glass-wrap around part of the headers, and then some nice insulation? Not sure if this would disrupt the car or not, because then the headers are going to be sustaining more heat, sooner... This has worked well for me in the past on cat-removals on n/a motors, however the wraps would normally go into place where the cat was deleted, rather than on one or two of the header pipes.

edit: this has worked well on cat removals for me because removing the cats can lead to a loss of low-end torque (and obiously a gain in mid-range torque). So, in order to have the best of both worlds, wrapping the bypass pipe where the cat was removed will allow that section to still generate a small, helpful dosage of backpressure (initially, and obviously when the car is warmed up) that can assist you in getting off the line.

"Tawk amongst yuhselves"

Last edited by Racer-x; 09-08-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Racer-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
There are 4 thick leads coming from the ignition barrel that lead to the the starter motor .. i think. I am trying to find the two wires and their color cause i am trying to install a push start button like the one that is in a the honda s2000 . PLEASE SOME WHO HAS ANY CLUE since there is 4 thick wires but only need to know the two that go to the starter motor soleniod.
Uh.. dude, that was a bit of a hijack!

Start a new thread next time
Racer-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #44
HB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
I hope to share the video even though its a crappy one because I was driving but if someone can put them up somehow I will email them to ya. Thanks for following along!

wow, this is really cool If you still need someone to host them I'll do it.
I might have missed this, but which supercharger kit did you purchase?
HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:01 AM   #45

Its the TPC kit I found used on E-bay and if anyone wants the crappy little videos I have just e-mail me at mpaolino@neo.rr.com and I will send them to you. I may as well put the update here. remember this pic? All the issues I was having all came down to this 3" rubber line it was dry rotted. I thought maf, 02 senor,plugs,coils but no .02 cents worth of rubber. The car feels like it has a v-8 in it, thats the only way to describe it. There is no mistake its supercharged. Im making boost now around 2k rpms, no detonation, no misses, great idle quality and tame as I want it to be. Im very happy with the kit and how the car performs.

The black rubber piece of hose wasnt sealing so the valve wasnt opening and shutting properly. I cant imagine the car running any better so I may forget about toying with the a/f.

Last edited by ohioboxster; 09-19-2006 at 05:29 PM.
ohioboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:46 PM   #46

Cool

That's pretty cool. How much was the supercharger kit?
Was it hard to install and where can I get one?!?!?!?

Andy
arkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #47

Hi,

Interesting that OHBoxster's thread is before his melted OČ Sensors and MAF issues. Porsche never forced the M96 Engine... what do they know that we don't...??

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:52 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Interesting that OHBoxster's thread is before his melted OČ Sensors and MAF issues. Porsche never forced the M96 Engine... what do they know that we don't...??

How to protect the 911...you should know this.

As I have said MANY times there are over 100 installations of Super Chargers on 3.4 and 3.6 911's (all higher compression engines then the Boxster). Go to 6Speedonline.com and look around! Open your eyes you have two of them to read and two ears to listen for a reason. GEEZ this is an old dead horse we keep beating.

Yes Jim we know you do not trust it, but PLEASE do not discourage when there are MANY facts to disprove your argument.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:27 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Jim,
If you recall I had a huge vacuum leak when I first completed the install, just look back through the thread at the bent pipe. My cat and exhaust was so hot Im sure thats when the 02 melted. It was only one 02 sensor. Lets try to remember that it is possible my MAF was due to be changed at 50k plus miles. If Porsche supercharged the Boxster it would probably hurt the 911 market. Think about how well the Boxster handles now imagine a supercharged Boxster. My car runs great, yes I do admit I had a MAF issue and currently Im waiting for my new MAF to arrive from California. Do me a favor and hold passing your judgement for a little while. If my car blows up I will let you be the first one to say "I told you so"
If you rode in my car you may have a change of heart.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #50

Quote:
Jim,
If you recall I had a huge vacuum leak when I first completed the install, just look back through the thread at the bent pipe. My cat and exhaust was so hot Im sure thats when the 02 melted. It was only one 02 sensor. Lets try to remember that it is possible my MAF was due to be changed at 50k plus miles. If Porsche supercharged the Boxster it would probably hurt the 911 market. Think about how well the Boxster handles now imagine a supercharged Boxster. My car runs great, yes I do admit I had a MAF issue and currently Im waiting for my new MAF to arrive from California. Do me a favor and hold passing your judgement for a little while. If my car blows up I will let you be the first one to say "I told you so"
If you rode in my car you may have a change of heart.

GL to you and your project man

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #51

Roush Supercharger Kit

Roush Supercharger Kit

Features:

Gains of 110HP and 65lbs Ft. of Torque
Air-to-Water Intercooler
6psi of Boost
8 Hours Installation
Roush Stand Alone ECM Calibration
Will start shipping at the end of August
C.A.R.B Approved
rohoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #52
boggtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohoni
Roush Supercharger Kit

Features:

Air-to-Water Intercooler
6psi of Boost
8 Hours Installation
C.A.R.B Approved

What the hell was that about?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:35 PM   #53

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohoni
Roush Supercharger Kit

Features:

Air-to-Water Intercooler
6psi of Boost
8 Hours Installation
C.A.R.B Approved
This isn't a Mustang board,if you haven't noticed.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:18 PM   #54

Where did that come from?
Hanes Underware
size 28-48
all colors
on sale at K-Mart

Get your own thread and Im with Jim pay for advertising, jackass
Old 10-27-2006, 02:47 PM   #55

Update

This is an update on my SC issues. It appears that I broke the oil filler tube at the block which caused a vacuum leak. I cant explain it either but the car is fixed and back on track pulling 16 in/lbs of vacuum at idle. It runs fantastic, heres a picture of the boost gauge after I picked up the car from the shop. I can always tell when there is a problem by this little gauge. If its not pulling the proper amount of vacuum or making proper boost you can pretty much know whats going on. Atleast get in the ballpark. The problem wasnt supercharger related, it was my fault for breaking the tube. Picture of boost gauge 10-27-2006

Last edited by ohioboxster; 06-16-2008 at 12:04 AM.
ohioboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:33 PM   #56

I just bought a 1999 and would liek to add a SC. Where did u get yours, how much should I expect to pay. Is the install difficult?

Thanks for the info.
tghadley34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:01 AM   #57

Tghadley34,

You need to start on page one and read through the entire post. I went over the install, price etc. in pretty in depth detail.

These are comments from board members who have taken a ride in my car. I dont think they will mind that I kept all the Supercharger information in one spot. The car is running great. I just ordered four Porsche OEM 02 sensors and as soon as they get here Im going to take the universal 02's out.

From Der Geist,

Comments from the passenger seat:

OMG!!!!

Seriously, Matt was kind enough to take me for a jaunt down I-77 and show me his handy work. If I have to say it in one word it would be Frickin'-Awesome!!!!! When that supercharger kicks in it is one sweet feeling. Really nice acceleration. It has just the right amount of get up and go to make the car near perfect. I am reasonably sure that the car is pushing well in excess of 250 hp. I was thinking how the one thing that my Boxster lacked on the track was a little more OOOMPH coming out of the turns and that supercharger would sure cure that problem. I think that with an upgraded ecu and opening of the intake and exhaust system that Matt's car would be the ideal Boxster. And the sound of that supercharger is pretty sweet too. Guess I am going to have to start looking for a way to add some additional power to my car. Thanks a lot Matt-your gonna cost me some serious $$$$ keepin up with the Jone's hah-ha!

From Randall,

Well, I'm now sitting in the Columbus airport waiting for my flight home to hot and humid Houston. I met up with MikenOH, OhioBoxster and Der Geist today for lunch. Below is a lousy phone picture I took of us after lunch so you can see what they look like.

Also had a spirited ride in OhioBoxster's SC'd 2.5 ... He took it to 6k in every gear and when he upshifted, the force slammed me back in my seat! It felt as if he had put a completely different and much larger engine in the car, at just 5 psi boost.

Now I have what I need emotionally to save every penny and get an SC kit for my boxster. With this kind of power, one could theoretically, of course win most any road race with Mustangs, 350z's etc. LOTS more power in every gear.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #58
2006 987

Garage
ohioboxster,

if you were to do it all over again what would you have done differently?

I didn't see a intercooler on your list of items, do you think a intercooler would have helped with temperatures and would you recommend future S/C hopefuls to spend a few hundred extra on a intercooler as insurance against high temps?

Also what do you think about forged pistons? Would you recommend them? How many miles have you put on the car since the s/c and have you taken it to the track yet?
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry
ohioboxster,

if you were to do it all over again what would you have done differently?

I didn't see a intercooler on your list of items, do you think a intercooler would have helped with temperatures and would you recommend future S/C hopefuls to spend a few hundred extra on a intercooler as insurance against high temps?

Also what do you think about forged pistons? Would you recommend them? How many miles have you put on the car since the s/c and have you taken it to the track yet?
I think an intercooler will always be helpful but Im not sure if one is even manfactured for my SC kit. Im still thinking about alcohol injection to chemically cool the air charge. This kit only produces 4.5 to 5 psi dont forget. I wouldnt do anything different. My goal was a low budget supercharged Boxster and I think I accomplished that goal. This kit new is anywhere from 5-7k plus just think if you had to pay for install at 100 bucks an hour. Im trying to hit all your questions. I've probably put about 3,000 miles on the car since the install. Once I figured out the vacuum leak the car runs great, idles smooth, great gas mileage and tons of power. No track times as of yet, this is my daily driver some Im not real inclined to beat on it, although I want to. Sure forged pistons would be great but tryin not to break the bank. Before I would spend 20k on a motor and sc setup I would just buy a different car. Did I get all your questions?
Old 12-06-2006, 06:10 PM   #60
2006 987

Garage
yep that's about all of them, but i don't think forged pistons would run 20k. I've seen shops offer to custom make any pistons for $700 if you're buying for a V6.

Quote:
I think an intercooler will always be helpful but Im not sure if one is even manfactured for my SC kit. Im still thinking about alcohol injection to chemically cool the air charge. This kit only produces 4.5 to 5 psi dont forget. I wouldnt do anything different. My goal was a low budget supercharged Boxster and I think I accomplished that goal. This kit new is anywhere from 5-7k plus just think if you had to pay for install at 100 bucks an hour. Im trying to hit all your questions. I've probably put about 3,000 miles on the car since the install. Once I figured out the vacuum leak the car runs great, idles smooth, great gas mileage and tons of power. No track times as of yet, this is my daily driver some Im not real inclined to beat on it, although I want to. Sure forged pistons would be great but tryin not to break the bank. Before I would spend 20k on a motor and sc setup I would just buy a different car. Did I get all your questions?

986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote