Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #21

Any news or updates? I'm anxious!

Racer-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:35 AM   #22

No, still seven more days until I really get into it. I had to buy a 24 mm wrench and new low profile floor jack. Pretty soon, so keep checking back.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #23

Update with pics.....

I started about 12:30 today and by 2:30 I had the SC unit in place. Then it came to direction #5 on my install guide...Snake pipe 4 up through engine and chasis. It should have said draw a pentagram on the ground and sell your soul. The one pipe you can see through the wheel well took me 4 hours to install, hmmm I guess thats why its called pipe #4. One of the bolts took forever ! No room for a wrench or socket. I changed the 3 plugs on the passanger side today. I need the proper water fitting (see pic one) for the line that needs rerouted. Tomorrow is another day....
Water line...

Take this off, rear cross member.

Remove this bolt to swing trailing arm out of the way.

These are the bolts that you take out to mount the SC braket to....

Replace bolts with studs use antiseize.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:27 PM   #24

Continued...

This is the SC unit bolted to the exhaust manifold

This is the unit pretty much in place ....

Looking at unit through wheel , evil pipe 4

back view

All thats left underneth is bolt the sc unit in place, pull some lines out of the way, reinstall trailing arm and crossmember, fuel filter, drivers side plugs, shileding. I think thats it, sorry for fragmented sentences, kinda tired. The car kicked my butt today.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #25

Ohio, did you use different spark plugs and gapping to accomadate the new s/c?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #26

Reading this post is like watching a good tv show! I look forward to next week's episode.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:49 PM   #27

Adam,
I spoke to the owner of TPC and presented the same questions to him. I would think you need to run a heat range colder and close the gap some. Tom, the owner assured me that factory plugs are just fine.

Jeph,
Im glad you like the thread. Tune in tomorrow I hope to get alot more done. Im thinking two to three days should do it.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:05 PM   #28

Todays update

Today I woke up at 5 am. and went out to the garage at 6 am. I was not looking forward to crawling back under the car this morning because my back was aching.
I acomplished quit a bit today. Installed the drivers side plugs, fuel filter (kinda a pain in the butt) zip tied some air condition and water lines out of the way. Next I tightened up the SC unit and now its in final resting position. Installed three more pieces of duct work (see pics) this means I have only two to go. Rerouted the throtle cable under the manifold, extended the electrical wires 14 inches (6 total and soldered the connections) and reinstalled the trailing arm. I probably forgot a few things if I think of them I will post.

This had to come out.

This pipe had to come out.

Installed bypass valve on this pipe.

Had to remove this bracket from throtle body.

Two more pieces of duct work installed.

This is where I need to tap into fuel rail.

Throtle body repositioned, rewired and more duct work installed. My arms look like I got into a fight with a blender. Talk about tight clearances.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #29

Ok, this is a pic of the throtle body, wires etc.

There is a good chance I will be done tomorrow. Spent about an honest 8 hours working on the car today. 10 1/2 hours todat total but I broke for lunch and had to make a parts run. I probably have an overall total of about 20 - 24 hours I cant really remember how long it took me to wire the fuel box. The way I look at it is the fact that my 60k mile service will be done as well. I killed two birds with one stone. Im going to try to catch the first time I start it on my video cell phone. More updates tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:03 AM   #30

I pretty much finished up today, just need to put the plastic shielding back on. When I first started up the car it idled kind of rough but then smoothed out. I had a vacuum leak but I think I took care of that, will know later. Going to the store to get some starting fluid to make sure leak is gone. The rpms would hang around 3k for a few seconds after I would let the gas off, really frustrated me but figured out the cable wasnt on properly. I fixed the throtle and took it for a few short drives. It has more power down low and has a cool little whine. Its not nearly as loud as IA's supercharger but still cool. I was afaraid to get on it until Im sure fuel isnt a problem. Check out pics and I have a cell phone video I will try to link to. All and all it went pretty smooth, Im happy with it. I've been reading other threads and people just cant figure out why you would want to Supercharge a Boxster so Im going to tell you. I have under 2500 bucks in this set up. It was either Wheels or Blower, for me that was a no brainer. No, Im not trying to build a Viper killer by any means. I did it for the cost and challenge, I won this round. To wrap it up the car seems to be running great, no detonation and its really cool when the blow off valve is functioning. Pssssssh psssssh, Cool. I hope to share the video even though its a crappy one because I was driving but if someone can put them up somehow I will email them to ya. Thanks for following along! Three days, not bad huh?!

This is where I tap into fuel supply.

Duct work under car.

Cut the J-tube ran to duct work.

Had to plug the hole in the manifold, this is where the J-tube was located.

Fuel line hooked up.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #31

See if you can use a digital camera for video clips. I bet they'd be better than the phone's video. Entertaining write up! Good job.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #32

Thanks Jeph, its running very well now. I found a small vacuum line that had a cut in it. The videos are really small and play with quick time, if you want I will send it to ya.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #33

Ohio - you are SO the man! Awesome work!!

If I had a hat on right now, it would be tipped in your direction.

Kind regards
oliverg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #34

Nice work Ohio!!! I know you don't have a baseline setting on the ole dyno, but how about taking that thing in there now just for ****************s and giggles to see if you have boxster S power or more?

Last edited by Adam; 09-06-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:06 AM   #35

Now Im happy !

The car was running good now its running great! You know it was only reading 2 lbs of boost at the gauge so I thought maybe the gauge just wasnt working correctly, nope. I took a can of either and sprayed the intake, throtle body, each individual piece of duct work and then it happened. Vrooooom, ah a leak. So I worked on what I thought was the leak for about 2 hours but it still would rev when I hit it with either. I finially figured out that the either was misting the next junction(see pic). The pipe somehow got a flat spot in it. So I used a big socket with an OD that matched the ID of the duct work and knocked it back round. Had a pic of that but my camera died. The car runs like factory now, just purrs. It has a much more sensitive throtle now that boost comes on much sooner since its not venting into the atmosphere.
My wife reminded me why I married her the other day when I was working on the car on our anniversary. She said "I cant wait to hear how this sounds" talk about support.

How in the heck did I miss that? Oh wait I know three straight days under the car!
Old 09-07-2006, 10:41 AM   #36
bmussatti

Is there a boost gage inside the cockpit?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:29 PM   #37

Yes, scroll down and see pic.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #38
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
Yes, scroll down and see pic.
Sorry, I missed that. Very cool! I think I would be looking at it all the time!

Ohio, I think you said that you plan to run 4 pounds boost....but, the gage looks like it goes from 0-30. Wouldn't you want a gage that was, say from 0-10 so it would be more accurate and easier to read? Maybe I am missing something. Thanks.

Great work & right-up.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #39

Well the gauge now appears to be accurate but a bigger display that went to 10lbs would be nice. The left side of the gauge is vacuum the right is boost 0-20 lbs.

Thats the part I dont think people understand. The car operates normaly in a vacuum state until you get into the pedal. So the blower doesnt ruin the car the driver does. I have read so many threads about SC blowing up motors. If my car blows up its my fault, period. I drive my cars pretty easy.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:20 PM   #40

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ OhioBoxster, if I were old enough to toast a beer to you,I would. Congrats on one heck of a D.I.Y.!