Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #1

Suspension replacement question

I am in the process of replacing any component in my suspension that has rubber in it as well as shocks. I Just want it to drive smooth.

In order to get access to the shocks for removal, I needed to remove the axle from the output flange of the transmission by removing the 6 8mm hex bolts. They came out OK, but now on installation, I am wondering if I need to add locktite to the threads as the specified torque seems low (29 in-lb or 39 N-m per Bentley) compared to how hard they came off. Any thoughts? Of course they are in and torqued so I would have to go backwards to do it.

Also can I reuse nuts on suspension components with locktite or do I just need to replace them as specified?

PS Let me just say it was harder than expected since everything was frozen.

Zibodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #2

It's 29 ft-lb and not inch-pounds for the M8 bolts from the cars up to about 2003, you probably did use that setting and just made a typo in your post.

When I did mine I used loctite and also cleaned out the threads as best I could with brake cleaner and paper towels before putting it together, and I used the oil resistant medium (243 I think)

For the nuts, when I put my new suspension in I used new Porsche nuts, but since then I have had it on and off and still reusing the nuts, with loctite.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #3

Perfect, thanks for the quick reply. I’ll pull them back out and use locktite. I bought new nuts for this so I’ll use the. I was just curious if the locking feature is reusable
Old 12-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #4

I’ll double check my torque wrench, but I am sure it was ft-lbs
Old 02-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #5

All suspension components replaced. Car feels 100% better.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:54 AM   #6
Thom

Garage
I'm trying to read all the info about suspension replacement as possible. How difficult was it getting the rear suspension out to replace the upper rubber bushing and then puttign it all back together.

Thanks
Thom

Calmg0d is offline   Reply With Quote