Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #41

Different window not dropping

Of all the posts on this subject I didn't see one like my particular situation. While sitting in the vehicle and pulling the door exit handle the window drops fine and I can exit. Sometimes right after that I can also close the door with no problem. However if I open the door from the outside the window drops and when the door is open about 12" the window goes back up and the only way it will stay down is to keep pulling up on the door handle. Thoughts?

I have done some more studying on this today and it seems the window position is related to the door latch position. I can wiggle the door latch and the window will index up and down. I have sprayed different lubes in the latch but nothing seems to help, could the latch spring be broken or stretched?

Last edited by RogerD; 05-20-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: New information
RogerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:06 AM   #42

I'm still having a problem with both my windows not dropping enough. I doubt if both regulators went bad at the same time. I pulled the door panel on the drivers side a few months ago and didn't notice any slack in the regulator cable. I did try the reset procedure but that did nothing. RogerD did you ever solve your window issue?
Old 09-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #43

My passenger side window stopped dropping. Didn't work with either the inside or outside handle. The method described for resetting the limits solved the problem. Gotta love a free fix.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:05 AM   #44

I recently had this problem with the driver side (RHD) window not dropping when pulling the handle (inside or outside). Also the alarm would double-beep when unlocking, and the cabin light didn't come on when the driver door was opened.

Tried a number of things - replaced handle microswitches (no effect), replaced and reprogrammed Alarm CLU (had got wet so was prime suspect - but no effect), and even removed the carpet (as it needed to dry anyway) and checked as much of the wiring as I could get to between the CLU and the driver door). Finally replaced the door lock assembly with a VW part (£26 from Amazon UK compared to £200+ from Porsche) and a) the lock fitted and works a treat and b) all the above issues with the window drop and alarm beeps have been resolved!

I would recommend anyone with similar problems checking the lock assembly before experimenting with more expensive parts of the system!
jlang996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:41 PM   #45
Joe Serpico

Passenger window not dropping

Hello all,
New to this and appreciate all your help and advice
I have a 02 Boxster, 110 k miles on it and absolutely flawless. Never seen a raindrop and runs drives and looks new
Today I took the wife for a ride and noticed that the passenger window drop was not working. Also noticed that when the handle is operated and the door opened the interior lights are not coming on either ( don’t know if that’s a factor in diagnosis)
The windows both drop halfway down when the roof is being dropped or operated and both windows work correctly when the buttons are pressed
I can hear the microswitch clicking as it should when I operate both inside and outside handles.

Ok so 2 AM and because I’m neurotic I decided to start taking the door apart just to rule out the stretch cable and have a look
I found that when I wiggle or even touch the door lock mechanism the window drops
Even with the micro switches unplugged if I even touch the door lock mechanism ( basically touching the larger plug on the bottom the window drop function works

So is it safe to say the door lock mechanism is malfunctioning?
And do I go for a VW replacement? Or used ? Or am I totally wrong about this ?
Thank you in advance
Joe Serpico

Last edited by Joe Serpico; 02-05-2020 at 09:40 PM. Reason: New development!!
Joe Serpico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:54 PM   #46
Who's askin'?

There are three micro switches in each door: one at each handle, one at the lock mechanism. The third one seems to be most failure-prone. I opened it up and fixed it temporarily, but ended up using a vw part. (Credit to member 78F350 for that)

Your issue could be any of the three, honestly. Pelican has a great DIY write up on their website for these, and how they work.

And I seriously can't hear ANY of the switches.... nor am I convinced you SHOULD be able to..... but ymmv.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 02-05-2020 at 07:03 PM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:35 PM   #47

I can definitely hear the microswitches clicking when I operate my doors (right before the handle actually engages the latch mechanism.
In my experience, Maytag is correct about the latch switch being problematic (this one you can't hear, since it activates at the same time the latch actuates). I made a post somewhere about repairing this switch with some hot glue and heat shrink (still holding up fine).

In regards to the light not turning on: I feel as though I have heard this is often correlated with an immobilizer problem, but that is generally correlated with water exposure.
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:42 PM   #48
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlebog View Post
I can definitely hear the microswitches clicking when I operate my doors (right before the handle actually engages the latch mechanism.

In my experience, Maytag is correct about the latch switch being problematic (this one you can't hear, since it activates at the same time the latch actuates). I made a post somewhere about repairing this switch with some hot glue and heat shrink (still holding up fine).

In regards to the light not turning on: I feel as though I have heard this is often correlated with an immobilizer problem, but that is generally correlated with water exposure.
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think the dome light thing is part of the same problem.
Your car doesn't know the door is opening.... so no window drop, no dome light.
Check the wiring where it goes between the door and the body.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #49
Joe Serpico

Ok , so thank you for not responding!!!
Anyway, I changed the lock assembly and the problem has been corrected. So if someone should have similar symptoms, I too strongly suggest changing the lock assembly. I got mine aftermarket for about 35 US. I did have to cut the red plastic mechanism for the key. My car is keyless so wasn’t a problem. Job took about 1 1/2 hours. Go slow so you don’t miss anything going back tog
Cheers Joe Serpico.

Joe Serpico is offline   Reply With Quote