Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2004, 02:38 PM   #1
Support Local Music

Upper driver's side door squeak.

Howdy, All

I was wondering on both boxsters I have owned they both squeaked on the driver's side door area on the top side.

I have deduced that this major pain in my ass is something in the door seal or maybe the door panel. Because, it stops if I'm driving and I open the door. It does not sound like metal on metal. I think I've elimated the roof assembly as a source but who knows.

I have tested numerous things to stop it...vasoline, a piece of cloth, powders etc. with no luck.

I'm I the only one with this issue? Can I have the dealer replace the seal under warranty? Are there any fixes.

Thanks

red*farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 03:52 PM   #2

I havent had that kinda trouble, but I recently replaced the sealers for the windows. When I would put the window down the rubber would flip over. So I replaced both of those, but no actualy door squeaking
Old 01-11-2005, 09:41 PM   #3

I've been reading through old posts and came across this one.

I too have a slight squeak in the top of the driver's door.

Any ideas guys? Does it need a computer engineer's trouble shooting? (That means - pull it apart, look inside, put it back together again, problem disappears).

cheers
aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #4

To REALLY revive an old thread, I have the same exact problem, and its driving me nuts! Seems to me to be caused by contact of the door on the door seal, but I could be wrong.

If anyone has a solution I would love to hear it!

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:47 AM   #5

Our VW Eos has had similar issues. VW says treat the rubber with Krytox (of course, THEY sell it) to eliminate squeaks due to rubbing.
raddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:42 PM   #6

I looked up Krytox and all I can find is that it is a DuPont manufactured line of mostly grease lubricants, I can't imagine this is what they used on your door seals?

Patrick
Old 10-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #7

Did a little more research, and this is, in fact, a lubricant. Apparently Krytox GPL 105 (liquid) or GPL 205 (grease) is the thing for lubricating weatherstripping, and will extend service life and quiet squeaking.

I just ordered some so we'll see if this solves my problems.

Patrick
Old 10-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #8

Top up or Down when this happens?

So are you guys hearing this noise only when the top is UP or Down? I have this problem, but noticed it is only when my top is down and the drivers side window is also down. When my top is up and the window is down I no longer hear it. So my guess would be that the noise that we are all actually hearing is from the left side of the top when it is compacted and compressed together, something is rubbing when the top is down and its not coming from the door at all. I only hear it when I hit bumps in the road or a rough area.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #9

I have the same problem and I'm sure it has to do with weather strip rubbing or something because I don't hear it when it's raining and the car's wet. It's been driving me nuts for a long time.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #10

I have this problem intermittently. It is very annoying when it happens – my quick fix is to turn up the radio.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #11

I have the noise top up or down, window up or down. The more I am listening to the sound, I am very sure it is the weatherstripping. I ordered some of the GPL 205, so I hope that fixes things.

My current cure is to just turn up my audio, but I'd like to have this gone so I can talk to the girl and not be annoyed

Patrick
Old 10-19-2007, 06:07 AM   #12

I notice the same sound but it appears to stop completely when I open the window (top up) just a pinch or the top is down, so it muct be glass to weatherstrip friction.

BUT, worse than that is a rattle sound in the area that sounds like the door latch area. Hear it on sharp bumps. Last week took the door panel off and found a few loose fasteners on the speaker thing (doesn't vibrate with bass sound anymore -- yippee) and used gorilla tape over anything that could move around in there. It does not rattle at all if I pound the door anywhere with the heel of my hand, but those sharp road bumps still rattle it.

Ideas???

Bob
Bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #13

I've had the door panel off and tightened and taped down everything in there that will move. No deal..it still rattles. Wit the paneloff you cannot see the inside corner of the door whee the rattle seems to come from. Today with the top down on a slow & bumpy road I noticed that it's fine with the door "ajar" on the first "click" on the door latch. So, it has something to do with a friction point of some kind. I've examined it carefully and there is nothing rubbing anywhere that would show wear in 30K. What the #%$??? I have a few more poor ideas and am getting desprate. Need to wear an ear plug on the left side!

Bob
Bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #14

In my former 986S, there was a squeaky noise that turned out to be glass moving against seals. To fix, lubricate seals. Best product I found is called Gummiphledge, sold at BMW dealers. YMMV
choeglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:38 PM   #15

Well I got my GPL 205 yesterday, and spent 20 minutes applying it to all the weatherstripping on the doors. This is some amazing stuff, work it into the rubber with a rag (doesn't take much action) and it leaves a very slippery feeling to the rubber, with no greasiness at all.

So, after all was said and done, I went for a little drive. Top up, windows up. The door squeaks I had are now gone, however, I still have some noise which sounds like a loose door. Then I decided to lower the windows. Completely quiet now. Put the windows back up, and the sound reappeared. Got back to the garage after my quick drive and looked things over. What I found surprised me.

I was looking for play on anything to do with the door assembly, and noticed that my driver window has more play than the passenger. With the door open, if I push at the top of the glass, I can move it several millimeters. So, this tells me that what I'm hearing is the result of the glass not sealing tightly against the weatherstripping, likely at the top where there is the most leverage on the glass. I also noticed that my interior microswitch on the driver side is behaving erratically as sometimes it will lower the window before I open the door, sometimes it won't.

So, in order to fix this, what parts am I replacing to basically freshen the window mechanism to get rid of the added play mine seems to have developed? Also, what is the part # for that microswitch and how much of a pain is it to swap out?

Patrick
Old 10-26-2007, 06:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
I also noticed that my interior microswitch on the driver side is behaving erratically as sometimes it will lower the window before I open the door, sometimes it won't.
Patrick
That sounds completely normal to me. The window is supposed to lower slightly when you pull up on the door handle and then pause, the window goes down a few millimeters so it doesn't catch the top. That is designed that way to create a tight seal so no rain gets inside the top between the window. If it's doing it only sometimes, your more than likely just opening the door to fast and not allowing the window to lower itself before you pull the door handle open all the way.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #17

No, the problem is that when I pull the interior door pull, I can hear the microswitch click, but it does NOT lower the window. Apparently now it has completely failed, so I need to swap out the switch.

Patrick
Old 10-28-2007, 08:00 AM   #18

Well, I will say that GPL 205 goop is truly amazing stuff. Went over and did all the weatherstripping on the top where the glass meets, and at the windshield header. My car is now completely squeak free. However, I still would like to get rid of the play in the side window (s) ( I figure if I'm doing one I may as well freshen both?).

Any help guys?

Patrick
Old 10-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Well, I will say that GPL 205 goop is truly amazing stuff. Went over and did all the weatherstripping on the top where the glass meets, and at the windshield header. My car is now completely squeak free. However, I still would like to get rid of the play in the side window (s) ( I figure if I'm doing one I may as well freshen both?).

Any help guys?

Patrick
Sorry I'm not posting help with the window situation, but can you tell me where you ordered the GPL 205?
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #20

http://www.thtgroup.com/krgpl205gr.html

Patrick