Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 02:37 AM   #1

Ask your dealer, its a very specific process that involves draining the tank, adding a specified level of fuel, and calibrating with the PST.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
Porsche TSB for this

I've got the same problem on my 2000 S. The fuel gauge reads 3/4 after a fill up, sometimes goes up after a while, sometimes not. It seems to be accurate from 1/2 on down. Porsche has issued a Technical Service bulletin for this. It involves untangling some of the wires, hoses, and fuel gauge float in the fuel tank. It doesn't look to be too much trouble. I'll have a go at it Saturday and let you all know how it goes.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro
I'll have a go at it Saturday and let you all know how it goes.
Please do!

There is no substitute.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
Ugh!

Well, most of the job was very straight forward. I pulled the sender unit per the TSB instructions. The fuel lines tied together with the cable ties were off a bit. I cut the ties and freed everything up per the TSB. However, after I had just about everything back together, I needed to disconnect a fuel line from the top of the sender again...and the plastic fitting broke. Looks like I'll be buying a whole new sending unit. Damn.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #5

Man, that stinks.

Where were you able to access the TSB and instructions? My fuel gauge is getting to the point where it's no longer "quirky" to me, just plain annoying.

There is no substitute.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:37 AM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
try renntech.org
You'll need to contribute $25, but it's worth it.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
Rennzenn

Garage
update on fuel gauge

After my mistake (breaking my original fuel sending unit) and the salvage yard's mistake (shipping the wrong sending unit), I've finally got my car back together. The good news is that the fuel gauge reads perfectly now! The Porsche TSB for 2001 and earlier 986/996 says that the cause of an erroneous fuel gauge reading is the way the two fuel hoses are zip tied together. They advise removing the old ties and retying the hoses so that they are perfectly parallel. I simply removed the ties and made sure that they are out of the way of the float (they weren't before). Unfortunately, I can't tell you that this will do the trick, because I ended up having to replace the entire sending unit. What I can tell you is that I got a used sending unit from DC auto for $75. I figure that I'm still ahead vs taking it to someone else. Here's a bit of wisdom that I gained from this: First, be very careful with the plastic fittings on your sending unit. Age, heat, and gasoline will make them brittle. Second, in 2002, Porsche changed the sending unit. The later ones are waaay different. And finally, be absolutely certain you hear a click when reattaching those quick-disconnect fuel lines, then, give it a tug straight back to make sure it is secure.