Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2004, 01:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Unhappy Rear Humming Noise?

Hello everyone! I am new to this site and I love it. I bought my first boxster about 3 months ago a 1999. The tires on my car were not from the same brand and the rear tires had about 4,000 miles on them. I noticed a very loud humming noise that appears to be coming from the rear. I wanted all tires to match so I bought some bridgetone Pole position tires, which handle great.

My problem noise is still there. It almost sounds like an exhaust gasket leak, or????? I put the car in neutral and I still hear it and it is very loud. Any ideas what this could be???? thanks for your help.

TIM WATERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 01:48 PM   #2

Hmm could be any number of things. have you had it looked at by anyone yet? Is the noise at a consistant volume or does it get louder while driving? You could have an airflow problem in your exhaust. Really withot actually seeing it there is no way for me to know. I would recommend going back to your dealer or else finding an "Experienced" porsche technician.
Sorry I couldnt be much more help then that
Old 01-18-2004, 02:27 PM   #3
Support Local Music

Just a thought...

My first question would be have you had a Boxster or known someone who has had one? Basically, can you compare what sounds normal to what doesn't sound normal. I had a 98 a while back and they sound like a little jet engine all the time...same with the 911s. I would go to a dealer/seller asap and just test drive another to make sure it isn't a normal noise.

I leased a Land Rover and that thing made a god awful whistle sound at 75mph. So, I went to the dealer and the whistle was normal due to how the mirrors were built and actually quieter than the one I test drove.

If that's not it, maybe then throttle intake plastic that comes from the air filter has slipped off?

Hope that helps. Congrats! So have you made a midnight run to Escondido at 100+ yet :-)

good luck,

Red*Farm...stuck in Houston with no good mexican food. :-(
red*farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 03:46 PM   #4

Hehe. Some good points red*farm
No good mexican food??? I thought Houston had lots of Mexicans...
Old 01-18-2004, 06:19 PM   #5
Support Local Music

There are a fair share of mexicans. They just can't cook and if it is good it is triple the price of San Diego.

Actually, Houston overall has horrible "basic" food. I've been here for a year and have found two good chinese places and one decent mexican place and that is it. I will occassionally actually drive 50 minutes to get good chinese food. So sad :-(
red*farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:59 PM   #6
Forum Member

Thanks for the responses. I really am going to like being in this forum. I have driven over 30-40 boxters as I shopped like crazy until I found my car. It had 42,000 miles on it, but it was and still is like brand new. The sound that is coming from the rear is not normal. It appears to be worse at about 50-55 mph and is less around 80+. I will take your advice and get it down to the dealer for an inspection. I didn't think that it could be the tires Bridgetone pole position as they are brand new. Hey Red*Farm if your ever in this area let me know and I'll take you down to some great places for mexican food. Thanks for your replies. I am now going to change my oil, spark plugs, pollen filter, air filter and poly rib serpentine belt thanks to some of the instructions on this site and their links. By the way I did get up to 125 on the 15.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:57 AM   #7

Welcome Tim. Got any pics of your '99? We'd like to see it.

I'm down in Oceanside.

I have the Bridgestone SO3s, great tires. Have about 14,000-15,000 miles on them and still a LOT of tread left on them.

Don't know about the noise issue you have, hope you get it figured out.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:34 AM   #8
Forum Member

Pictures

Thanks for the welcome. I'll take some pictures after I get my car put back together and detail it. It's all black and I recently added Pioneer DVD, Navigation. It has a retratable touch screen and various search functions for your destination. I don't know how I existed without it now.