Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
b0xt0La

Locking lug nuts

Well finally I got my Boxster (yoohoo) but there is a problem. I was ignorant and didn't know the full extent of the problem untill now. All the wheels have locking lug nuts. There is no key! The dealer says de doesn't have it. I called a tire place and the first thing he told me after I had explained the problem was "you are screwed buddy". He told me to go to the dealer or just smash them but this will damage the rims. Do all Boxsters come with locking nuts from the factory? I have no idea how to handle this problem. A lot of people lose things and one of them is the key to the locking lug nuts. What would a person in my situation do?

Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 09:21 PM   #2
Support Local Music

I would put a piece of paper over the lug and with a the flat side of a pencil rub a sketch of what it looks like and then head on down to Pepboys, Autozone and Discount Tire and start looking or just buy every set they have a return them if none work out in the parking lot. :smile:

Discount Tire's if you have one in your area should have a removal key. It is kinda a big ass socket that cuts groove into/around the lug. It'll come off.

Also, check out the spare tire bag compartment and behind the tire. It may be there.

or

Jam a deep socket over the lug if possible and hammer it on until it makes some groove and try to remove it.

No worries..just get it done before football and it'll be all good.
red*farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 09:39 PM   #3

Do all boxsters have a anti-theft lugnut? I don't think my dealer gave me a special adaptor. Should I have gotten one?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 10:06 PM   #4

Search the car. Look in the storage pocket for the spare tire. Look in the tool kit.

If you give up any dealer has a set of them all and will figure out which one fits and you can order another one.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 10:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the help tool pants. I was kind of worried after hearing alienz story. I'll search the car tomorrow.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 12:36 AM   #6
b0xt0La

Thank you Mr. Wizard (Tool Pants). What can we ever do without you!
Old 01-18-2004, 09:58 AM   #7

This is what it looks like. Tire shops are bad about not putting them back in the car.

Unless you are worried about theft I would just remove them and buy 4 standard wheel bolts. You should write your key code on the option sticker. My delaer does this on new cars. So if yours becomes lost you just give them the number and they order another one.

We had to change a wheel at a work on cars day and the owner could not find the key. None of the keys from the other owners would fit as there are about 30 different patterns. We tore his car apart for an hour looking for it. Then he remembered the last time he saw it is when he gave it to a shop for his new tires 2 months earlier. He called the shop and they said they did not have it. Right. They like to keep the keys for other customers that lost them.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:36 PM   #8
b0xt0La

Tool Pants, where is the storage pocket you are talking about?
Old 01-18-2004, 01:49 PM   #9

I think he is refering to the storage pocket located within the spare tire bag. In my spare tire bag there is also a pocket in the lining or it. Maybe yours does too...
Thats where I found my key for the lugs
Old 01-18-2004, 05:53 PM   #10
b0xt0La

THe only bag I found is a big ass leather bag thats too long for the front trunk and empty.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:45 PM   #11
Support Local Music

Pull the spare tire off and behind it are some tools and the jack. The spare is usually covered by a cover with a velcro bag thingy built it.

There is still hope.....It's slim but hope none the less.
red*farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:20 AM   #12

its the vinyl bag that covers the spare tier. In the front, there is a velcro strip that you have to open to get to the wing nut that holds the spare in place. that velcro strip also opens up the storage bag. Its obvious, so if you don't see it, you either don't have the vinyl cover, of you don't have the wheel lock.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:37 AM   #13
b0xt0La

I don't have the wheel cover so I guess I don't hae the key. I thought there was a compartment somewhere behind the spare wheel.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:31 AM   #14

I see the spare wheel covers, tool kit, jack, wind stop, wheel key and all sort of stuff on ebay. People pull stuff of before they get rid of the car. Guess that is what happened to your car.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:36 AM   #15

Here is the spare tire cover which has a storage pocket. The wheel key is sometimes there.