Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #1

Driving on gravel/dirt road

Hello everyone,

My first post here after reading and learning quite a bit from the forum. Many thanks to all the contributing members.

Bought a new triple-black 06 6sp 987S couple of months ago (my first Porsche) and have been perma-grinning through the (just completed) break-in. Can't wait to push it above 4200 this weekend. (Yes, a weekend driver, as I don't drive to work.)

A question: The access to a garage I'm considering to rent is about 100 yards of gravel/dirt. How bad (and in what ways) would it be to drive my new S (18" wheels) on gravel/dirt for about 200 yards a week? Or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks much,
z12358

z12358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:19 PM   #2

I wouldn't worry as long as you make this the longest (time wise) 200 yards per week you have ever driven. DRIVE VERY SLOWLY! A few kicked up pebbles per week will turn your triple black boxster into something more resembling a skunk!
Old 07-20-2006, 04:05 PM   #3

Exclamation

Keep an eye on your tires! Look for bits of gravel stuck in the tread that can and do fly out at speed. If the gravel drive is the right size of rock it should not be an issue, but keep a sharp eye out at first.
ricklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:34 PM   #4

xclusivecar, ricklin --

Thx for the advice. Yes, I did drive VERY slowly when I tested it last week -- just rolling fast enough to avoid lugging the engine in 1st (<5mph). There was one pebble that flew out few minutes after getting back on the asphalt. It hit the plastic cover of the wheel well. I don't mind scratching those plastic covers but I fear that these pebbles can damage the (metal) underside of the car and encourage rusting.

z12358
z12358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:00 AM   #5
bmussatti

z12358, Congrats on the new car!

Be careful on the way "into" the garage, because I assume after a good drive, your tires will be pretty hot, and they will really pick-up a lot of stones then.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:15 AM   #6
creseida

I live on a gravel road (1/2 mile off the main road), my driveway is 200+ feet of gravel, and my garage is in back of my house, and I have to drive through a horse paddock to reach it.

I just drive slowly. I've been doing this for over 2 years now, and haven't had any problems. Although I do often joke that my Box is probably the only one that goes "off roading" whenever it gets driven.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:29 AM   #7

bmussatti, thanks. Very good point.
creseida, nice to hear from someone with a similar experience.

I think I'll just give it a careful try for a month or so -- with my eyes and ears open -- and then take it from there.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #8

I also live at the end of a gravel road. I have a triple black '04 S. Bought it new in Feb. '05, and drive it 3-5 times/week. I have had no problems with stones, but a never-ending battle with dust. When I wash it, it has a light coating of dust by the time I get to the end of the street.
PDX-986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #9

pdx,
Yes, I hear you about the dust on black. But even with a slight coat of dust, I still prefer it to most other colors. Btw, the coat gets blown away while driving anyway. Boxsters are great for shaking the dust off.