Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #1

Finally pulled bumper

So I've been working on the accusump install and I'm waiting for hose and fittings to complete the job. While I was waiting, I decided to pull the bumper and clean the rads. They weren't terribly dirty, but I noticed that the condensers have about 25% of the fins flattened out by what seems to be road debris... but the A/C still works well.

Since I had the bumper out, I decided to fab some grills to cover the air intakes so that it would prevent large debris from entering the ducting. I also pulled the plastic inserts (left and right) and painted the visible trim black. I then purchased some roof gutter mesh grill and fabbed, painted silver and then secured the pieces behind the insert grill pieces. This is what it looks like. I think it looks pretty good and should do the job. My other concern was not to impede the air flow, but I think the mesh is large enough that it should not reduce cooling capacity.

And yes, my bumper has road rash maybe the next project will be an updated 996 GT3 bumper?

2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #2

I tried doing that, but I wasn't able to remove the plastic rivets from the inner wheel wells, so I couldn't get it off. It will have to be a winter project.

Your grills and inserts look awesome. I'll probably do something like that as well. Thanks for showing the end result.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:58 AM   #3
I am No. 1348

Garage
Very Nice looking, great job. Silver or black, that would be my question as to what color to paint the mesh covers. I think the black finish would make them look more aggressive. Silver looks a bit more utilitarian.

Thanks for putting another project on my must do list!!!!