Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #1

General suspension question

I have a 2001 Boxster that I've owned for about 6 or 7 years but I've never driven another one. I know these cars feel every bump in the road but is there a way to tell if it's getting close to time to replace the suspension?

I'm truly not looking to throw money at a problem that isn't there. I've driven cars that do that "floaty" roller coaster feel after hitting a bump in the road and knew that something needed attention. With my Box, every little bump is being fed through to my body and I just was wondering if it shouldn't be a bit smoother.

Thanks for any education you can give me on this subject.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18...7/mgaside2.jpg
impboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #2

Garage
When you start hearing squeaks and rattles from the suspension, or it can't be aligned properly.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #3

Rubber components on these cars will start to deteriorate after 10-12 years. My box is a 2000 model and I'm on a campaign to gradually replace pretty much everything made of rubber on the suspension. My rear track arms were making clunking noises over rough pavement, so they have been replaced, along with the rear drop links and sway bar bushings. Regardless of mileage, the rubber bushings on suspension components just start to deteriorate after time.

Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote