Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2017, 05:23 AM   #1

Misfire on cylinders 123

Please can someone assist me with misfiring Boxster 2.7 year 2000.

Went from running fine to (according to my cheapo analyser) a multiple cylinder misfire detected issue in. Scroll down and it tells me I have a misfire on cylinders 1 2 & 3.

Now all this happened within me slowing for a junction then applying the power.
Juddering, misfiring, spluttering and backfiring.......all in an instant.

So far I have fitted new plugs so that rules them out.....to be honest it is unlikely that all three plugs would fail at once.

Is there a single common component for these cylinders I should be looking at that would cause this issue

Thanking you for any assistance.

Glosboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:54 AM   #2

Garage
On a 2000 I would suspect a timing solenoid ramp wearing. You could verify this a little better with a Durametric tester. If you don't have that available get the car to a local dealer or indy sport car shop
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 06-25-2017 at 05:58 AM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #3

I just went through this. What exactly are the codes?

One thing to check before anything would be your camshaft deviation values.
High values could indicate variocam worn ramps (as mentioned below) or more serious issues. If you are getting Misfires for those particular cylinders (1-2-3) on one side only, then I it could be O2 sensor on that side, or maybe a camshaft position sensor. I had issues with multiple cylinders not just on one side. I ended up replacing all 3 hydraulic chain tensioners as well as all 6 coil packs since a couple were bad. One of the spark plugs was loose too, so that also was a contributing factor. I've had similar misfire issues before and I cleaned the MAF sensor and went away. I doubt all 3 coilpacks went bad at the same time. Vacuum leak maybe? AOS?

Have you upgraded the IMS bearing? Don't drive it until you have fixed the problem.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 06-25-2017 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Just saw your signature on the IMS upgrade...
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #4

Thank you for the replies guys. Appreciated.
I have managed to get rid of the back firing by swapping around with some old coil packs I had in my workshop. Also double checked plugs were tight.
I also am no longer getting a fault code?
However........it idles sluggishly and still not revving clean at all. Splutters before she picks up on the revs. Almost feels like I have a pipe off somewhere that sort of feeling. Seems to rev clean when she is at high revs.

Will replace o2 and camshaft sensor and clean the MAF and if that doesn't cure it then it's a trip to the Porsche garage.

I will also take your advice om IMS bearing!

Glosboxster is offline   Reply With Quote