Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2017, 05:13 AM   #1

Exhasut Shielding

Was replacing the rear track arms last night and noticed the driver's side inner CV boot was cracked. Having just replaced the PSE with a Fabspeed Maxflo, there's no shielding on the bypass pipe as there was on the factory secondary cat. Pretty sure it's too early to have caused the damage but it got me thinking, has anyone experienced problems with an unshielded bypass pipe? Anyone had success (or failure) with a thermal wrap?

Old 06-15-2017, 06:49 AM   #2

I got some of this shield from steve0x for the cat delete pipes on my 01S. Went on pretty easy.

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/65692-use-heatshield-armor-stainless-zip-ties-test-pipes-shield-inner-cv-boots.html
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:59 AM   #3
Rennzenn

Garage
I've had headers/bypass pipes/aftermarket muffler and no shielding for years and never had an issue. No hard data, but I think it may actually be cooler with the better flowing exhaust.
Split CV boots are a known 986 problem... Its very likely that the angles the CV joints experience are the culprit.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
I've had headers/bypass pipes/aftermarket muffler and no shielding for years and never had an issue. No hard data, but I think it may actually be cooler with the better flowing exhaust.
Split CV boots are a known 986 problem... Its very likely that the angles the CV joints experience are the culprit.
Was under the car last night installing new trailing arms and looking at components close to the exhaust. There's a large rubber coolant line about 1" away from the right side, front cylinder header pipe, and it looks original and in good condition. So I agree that there shouldn't be a heat related issue with the CV joints. Just another maintenance item with a shorter interval than I'd have guessed.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #5

Garage
Ceramic coating the pipes is the way to go