Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #1

Garage
Clutch Feel

I recently bought (6 weeks ago) a 2003 Boxster Base, 2.7, 5 speed, 41000 miles. PPI found nothing alarming. Shortly after, I took it to an Indy Porsche shop for LN IMS retrofit and rear main seal. Clutch was pretty worn, so replaced clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, using Sachs parts.

Since then, I've put on about 1500 miles. Car is great, but...

I've never liked how the clutch feels. If I'm driving gently, not revving past about 4-5k, not shifting fast, it's all fine. But if I'm pushing it, shifting at 6k or more, or downshifting with a blip of throttle to match RPM, it seems as if the pedal lags a bit coming up off the floor. At low speeds, clutch engagement point seems a bit vague.

Unfortunately, I was super gentle in the 700 miles I did before the IMS and clutch work, so I don't know if this symptom was already present. Yesterday, replaced the clutch booster spring, just because it's cheap and easy. No change.

Any thoughts? Do they all do this? Did I get a crappy pressure plate? Do I need master and/or slave cylinders?

Or do I just get used to it?

-Robert

RobertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #2

take it back to the Indy shop that you paid many thousands of dollars to replace your clutch. Off the top of my head, it could be something as simple as bleading the clutch slave cylinder.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Brake/clutch fluid could be the issue. Did the indie change the fluid when he did the clutch work.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Brake/clutch fluid could be the issue. Did the indie change the fluid when he did the clutch work.
Didn't change fluid.
RobertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Suggest you do a brake/clutch fluid flush & fill. I know when I had my clutch replaced they did the fluids and the clutch pedal felt great while depressing and coming back. Brakes felt better too.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:48 AM   #6

The other guys said the obvious stuff. I never liked the feel of the spring boosted clutch pedal so went with a different spring that gives almost no boost but returns the pedal and keeps the cruise control functioning properly. Made a world of difference to me.

WillH is offline   Reply With Quote