Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

Smarter Idiot light

My old Brit bikes have just a terminally ill oil light and not wanting to permanently mount a gauge I built an LED RGB oil light that displays the pressure as a different colour for each range of pressure. It uses a MEMS sensor and micro-controller to convert the pressure into a colour signal. The sensor housing is about the same size as the switch. For the Boxster I would make a tee so the original switch can be retained.
Below the switch pressure it flashes red. Next range it shows steady red, then yellow, then green, then aqua, then blue. If the sensor or wiring fails it flashes white.
It updates every 1/4 second and averages the new value with the old to dampen fluctuations. Here are pictures of the light, sensor and output:

Would there be any interest in these?
I could also add a battery monitor that would show steady white for a second every 5 seconds or so if the battery is below charged voltage (12.6 volts).

magno_grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:57 AM   #2

A "Tee" ? The space on top of Bank 1 Cam cover is very restricted. Have you tried to fit it?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #3

The dual output pressure sensor used when replacing the entire instrument cluster is much larger than my sensor. The sensor is about 37mm long.
I have been in there when looking for a rich on bank one problem.
magno_grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #4

pretty cool. there's a matching port on the other back under the airbox - you could use it perhaps.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
pretty cool. there's a matching port on the other back under the airbox - you could use it perhaps.
Good suggestion unless the engine has DOF

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote