Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #1

Oil filter housing for 2010 (and filter)

Greetings all, and forgive me in advance if my question is obvious, but the Boxster platform is new to me, so still sorting this out. Purchased a 2010 Boxster just recently, and want to change the oil. I already had a 74mm 14 flute wrench that would fit a 2007 (owned previously, but only for a brief while -- sadly was lost in accident so this 2010 is the replacement).

So I did a bit of research online and discovered that the 2010 should need a different oil filter wrench (and a different filter). But before purchasing, I went under the car and found my old wrench fit perfectly. The numbers on the oil filter housing I find in my 2010 are:

Part # 996.107.120.54

Very odd, because this appears to be the housing that would have been used on the first revision of the 987 (1996 to 2008).

So I'm concerned that I am finding this on a 2010. If these housings are threaded the same, I suppose it's possible that someone would have fitted the wrong housing after having broken the factory housing. I cannot imagine why this would be done (unless it was a service facility and they just happen to have the earlier housing on hand). But back to which filter element I need to buy... would a newer (2010) filter even work with the older housing? The specs on the 2010 filter are a full 1" longer than the 2008 and prior version.

I suppose I must drain the oil and pull it to inspect, but I wanted to order a filter and have it ready before starting.

Anyone here seen this, or can someone perhaps measure the housing length on their 2009-2012 Std 2.7L ?

Last edited by DeltaHotel; 04-24-2017 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Added more details
DeltaHotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #2

I'll post here just in case this helps anyone else. Not that it's terribly likely that others may worry with such a thing

But the filter is indeed the proper filter for a 2010 (again, it's about 1" longer than the prior filter, which makes sense because in 2009, the base engine was sized-up from a 2.7 to a 2.9 L). I have no idea why the filter housing/cover has a part# of the 2008 and prior models. Perhaps the housing covers are comparable in size, and threaded the same, and someone broke the factory housing and replaced with this one. No idea. But it may be useful to know that a housing cover part # 996.107.120.54 will work fine on a 2009 and later model.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You probably didn't get much help here because this a 986 forum (1997-2004).
Otherwise, this is usually a very helpful group.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
You probably didn't get much help here because this a 986 forum (1997-2004).
Otherwise, this is usually a very helpful group.
Yes, I'm sure you are right.

I'm a bit embarrassed about that.