Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2006, 12:54 PM   #1

new 987: When to Change Oil?

Apologies; I've done a search--i vaguely remember this topic being debated--but i can't find the thread. So I'll ask:

When do you recommend the first oil change for a new 987, purchased last Sept., driven mostly in city traffic, currently with 5,000 miles?

I know Porsche says I have a ways to go before the change, but I'd like to err on the side of caution. thanks.

TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #2

I've just commented on this question on another thread but will paste to here as well:

I wanted to note that I hadn't changed the oil up to the 20k service interval and the car ran like a champ. Since the oil change, it runs like a champ. I honestly couldn't tell a difference, where in other cars the before and after was noticeable.

I'm not making any sweeping judgements on the oft-debated oil change intervals in the 987, just stating my experience; YMMV.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
bmussatti

I changed my oil at the first 1,000 mile mark, and now plan to do changes once per year (just prior to winter hybernation in November) or between 7-10,000 miles but I doubt that I will put that many miles on the car per year.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:33 PM   #4

You should probably go ahead and do the first change, just because it's a new engine and has never been changed. I don't know about the P-car engines, but in others you get small metallic debris that collects during the first few K miles that should be drained out. After that, change it just before the manual says to do it so you're not late (I think it's 20K for the 987) or annually if you don't reach the mileage.

One tip...make sure the engine is warmed up before changing it and get a sample for analysis so you can get an early warning if any parts start to wear.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:00 AM   #5

Garage
We've got 3K on ours now

and I'll probably wait until the end of the season--October--to do the first change with probably 6K on the car. After that, I'll do it every other year or 10K which ever is first.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #6

For the "peace of mind, I-can't-fathom-a-20K-oil-change-interval", I decided to double Porsche's recommendation. I'm changing mine every 10,000 miles.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #7

at 2,200 miles (break in over) and every 5-6K for me

Cheap insurance and oil gets dirty before it breaks down
Chris C Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
You should probably go ahead and do the first change, just because it's a new engine and has never been changed. I don't know about the P-car engines, but in others you get small metallic debris that collects during the first few K miles that should be drained out. After that, change it just before the manual says to do it so you're not late (I think it's 20K for the 987) or annually if you don't reach the mileage.

One tip...make sure the engine is warmed up before changing it and get a sample for analysis so you can get an early warning if any parts start to wear.
I was told the engine has appx 24 hrs on it prior to leaving factory and has already had an oil change, negating the fears of debris, etc. entrained in oil. What was suggested was to find the build date of car by calling factory (dealer can do this) and to change oil after 12 months at the most. This will insure airborne contaminants have not degraded oil, water/condensation being the chief culprit. My car was "born" in March 05 and i changed oil in April of 06 even though it had less than 5K miles.

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote