Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2006, 10:13 AM   #1

Lightweight rotors?

Does anyone have experience with replacing the stock rotors with lighter weight rotors? I've done searching and am coming up short. I'm referring to ceramics, 2-piece, floating, or anything else done to reduce weight... I already have cross-drilled so that idea is out.

2002 S

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Does anyone have experience with replacing the stock rotors with lighter weight rotors? I've done searching and am coming up short. I'm referring to ceramics, 2-piece, floating, or anything else done to reduce weight... I already have cross-drilled so that idea is out.

2002 S
Hi,

I'm not aware of any out there and it may be for a reason. Ceramics would be cost prohibitive, possibly running 20% of the overall value of the Car. And, a certain amount of mass is required.

Think of the rotors as sorta a rotating Heat Sink. Your Car really stops because it converts Mechanical energy and Inertia (stored energy) into Heat Energy through the Rotors and Pads which is then dissipated to atmosphere. Once enough energy has been released (or leaves the system) leaving an amount less than the Forces acting on the Car (Air resistance, Rolling resistance, Gravity), the Car stops. To a point, a less massive rotor cannot absorb as much Heat as quickly, so braking would be adversely affected.

The best way to reduce unsprung Mass would probably be to look at the Wheels and Tires. You'd get the greatest effect without sacrificing Braking efficiency...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:36 PM   #3

I'm not 100% sure but I would think that they (the "lightweight" rotor manufacturer) would leave the braking zone alone in terms of mass/strength. Isn't the primary function of a rotor to disappate heat? Shouldn't a less massive rotor get rid of heat faster provided the braking zone design remains the same?

I definitely agree that the ceramics would be a little too pricey but I have heard of the floating rotors before and if I remember right they were reasonably priced (if they even have them for Boxsters).

I'm thinking this would be in addition to wheels and tires if available.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #4

Ceramic rotors have been an option for the 996 Line since about 2001 IIRC. They are incredible, but so is the price. You could adapt them to a boxster, it would be the same as adding Big Red's, only the cost is different...more if you can imagine that, lol. You also must be extremely careful around them when changing tires, one slip of the tire, and the rotor will shatter.

Here are some ceramic rotors on a 997S that I supercharged recently.

Got Brakes?