Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #1

Shifter Alignment Tool

I just bought a 997 shifter for the car. Should I get a 997 adjustment bridge? They are $3 at ECS.

Also, are 996 adjustment bridge tools discontinued? Anyone know where to get a 996 tool? Thanks

Bob

achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by achillies View Post
I just bought a 997 shifter for the car. Should I get a 997 adjustment bridge? They are $3 at ECS.

Also, are 996 adjustment bridge tools discontinued? Anyone know where to get a 996 tool? Thanks

Bob
i got both from Genuine OEM Porsche Parts | ************************************************************************.com
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #3

Did your shifter come yet? I bought my 9x7 shifter from ECS and it came with the (what I believe to be unnecessary) tool.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #4

Quote:

Bob
Bob ,If you want to dive in to the details of adjusting and improving the shifter, this thread has a lot of info:
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/54726-ball-bearing-short-shifter.html
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #5

Thanks everyone...the shifter is used and I was just concerned that putting a 997 shifter in would require the adjustment tool.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:34 AM   #6
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Thanks everyone...the shifter is used and I was just concerned that putting a 997 shifter in would require the adjustment tool.
You don't really need the tool. Just put the old shifter in neutral, mark the cables with a marker, remove old shifter, install new shifter and match up the marks in the new shifter. It's actually very easy as long as you mark the cables before you remove the old shifter.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:43 AM   #7
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
You don't really need the tool. Just put the old shifter in neutral, mark the cables with a marker, remove old shifter, install new shifter and match up the marks in the new shifter. It's actually very easy as long as you mark the cables before you remove the old shifter.
+1

A little pre work marking the cables with a Sharpie before removing the shifter is all it takes.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #8

Great I will just mark the cables.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #9

I would recommend using the tool on the 997 shift console installation, if you are not "in a pinch."

The center console is not all that easy to remove, and if you just "wing it" like some here seem to be suggesting and get it wrong, you might find yourself doing it over. Marking (and maintaining) the cable position also might not work that well when changing from the 996 to the 997 style console, or if the adjustment wasn't set perfectly to begin with, which is a real possibility if the cabling is old and worn. The 997 shift console installation tool is very easy to use, and eliminates guesswork.

The factory shift console installation tool also won't work (won't fit) with the aftermarket shifter discussed in the thread linked above. But in a pinch, yes, you can make do without. Best of luck!