Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #1

Garage
Rough Idle on start after engine is warm

2000 Boxster S Manual
71k miles

Car starts fine when engine is cold and it idles normally. But after I drive it 15-20 min and turn off engine, it idles rough when I start again. If I do nothing, then engine dies after 5 seconds. But if I rev the engine for 5 seconds a few times then idle will settle on normal approx 700-800 RPMs and then be fine.

Engine Air filter is new and no CEL error codes.

I cleaned throttle body and air intake. was not very dirty. Only a little oil in the 2 big pipes.

Outdoor temp is 40-60F.

Any ideas?

Mike

Old 01-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgroth View Post
2000 Boxster S Manual
71k miles

Car starts fine when engine is cold and it idles normally. But after I drive it 15-20 min and turn off engine, it idles rough when I start again. If I do nothing, then engine dies after 5 seconds. But if I rev the engine for 5 seconds a few times then idle will settle on normal approx 700-800 RPMs and then be fine.
Something is sticking? Because the revving that prevents the problem ,opens /activates something ? flap/butterfly /airflow ???
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Hard start when hot is typically EVAP related. Any codes?

Search "hard start when hot".
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks for suggestions.

To clarify. It does not have hard time starting when warm, but the RPM needle does not settle at 700-800 but instead dances around and eventually the engine dies, UNLESS I rev it a few times, then it mellows out and is idling as it should.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks for the suggestions.

To clarify. It does not have hard time starting when warm, but the RPM needle does not settle at 700-800 but instead dances around and eventually the engine dies, UNLESS I rev it a few times, then it mellows out and is idling as it should.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #6

Vacuum leak or O2 sensors.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
Vacuum leak or O2 sensors.
If it was o2 sensors a code would be at least Pending if not set. If it was vacuum leak(s) maybe ?
Eventually someone will mention the speed ,accuracy and ease of connecting a Durametric or PIWIS for a diagnostic fee. Meanwhile we can drag this out with speculation.It will be fun to see who made the best guess.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #8

I'm assuming you took off the TB and you cleaned both sides of the butterfly valve? First time I performed the service it ran rough too. Found the TB connector slightly loose ( not making). The point I'm really trying to make here is some people clean just the outside area of the TB and when they go to start the car it runs even rougher cause all the gummy deposits are suspended on the inside of the butterfly valve and feathering the slightly open valve reducing a smooth flow of air.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:41 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapister View Post
I'm assuming you took off the TB and you cleaned both sides of the butterfly valve? First time I performed the service it ran rough too. Found the TB connector slightly loose ( not making). The point I'm really trying to make here is some people clean just the outside area of the TB and when they go to start the car it runs even rougher cause all the gummy deposits are suspended on the inside of the butterfly valve and feathering the slightly open valve reducing a smooth flow of air.
I did clean butterfly on TB . However I did not clean the second butterfly in the cross pipe near evap purge valve.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #10

Garage
Solved: New MAF sensor

I put in a new MAF sensor and problem went away.

My original MAF started throwing codes a yr ago. I cleaned it and that worked for a while. Then after a while codes came back. So I bought a new eBay MAF (Chinese) . Worked great for a while. On a hunch I installed the old one last week and the rough idle on warm start was gone. But CEL was back. so I just bought yet another MAF, this time a Bosch. I cleared CEL code and idles fine now.

Thanks for all suggestions and input.

Last edited by mgroth; 02-05-2017 at 10:17 AM.
mgroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #11

So we all failed !Nobody diagnosed MAF
I am puzzled by the solution. In theory you could have just disconnected the MAF and the default would have produced reasonable performance and idle.
What gave you the idea to replace the MAF ?
Thanks for the warning about cheapo EBay MAF being short-lived !!!

Last edited by Gelbster; 01-30-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
So we all failed !Nobody diagnosed MAF
I am puzzled by the solution. In theory you could have just disconnected the MAF and the default would have produced reasonable performance and idle.
What gave you the idea to replace the MAF ?
Porsche friend said he had similar issue on his Audi and MAF was the issue.