Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Headlight not locking in place

Howdy, Gang!

I'm in trouble and I need your help.

I have searched and have not found an answer that satisfies.

I have a 2004 Boxster S and removed both headlight assemblies.

The passenger side unit gave me a very satisfying "POP" upon unlocking and locking.

The driver's side, however, did not "POP" much at all upon removal and barely "POPs" when I lock it back in. More disturbing, though, is that the driver's headlight is not completely locked. I can pick up the extreme bottom inside edge and then shift it sideways and pull the whole assembly out. Not good.

I fought it for about two hours.

Everything lines up and slides perfectly into place, the locking bar turns 180 degrees and pulls the headlight into place, but it just does not POP and hard lock into place.

The passenger side headlamp assembly is as solid as a rock. It does NOT move.

The driver's side is sort of a "soft lock", it locks, but i can jiggle it loose. I THINK if I leave it alone, and don't pull up on the inside corner, or as long as it doesn't lift in the air flow while driving, it will stay in place. I think. Sorta.

How worried should I be?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is there a fix?

Can I adjust the base plate somehow to get a more positive lock?

Thanks, everyone!

All the best!

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:44 PM   #2

I had the same problem and if I remember correctly the fastne that holds the h.l.. frame to the body is a unique piece.I did alot of searches on the subject and did have to order 1 of 3. Look at a parts diagram and you will see that once you see how they work it is pretty simple just as german engineering goes. I hope this helps.....I am by no means a mechanic. I think I held the bottom of the the thumb screw with a torx to tighten.It always helps to take a step back and go back in fresh after a while IMO
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:46 PM   #3

oh also those screws adjust the height of the entire assembly so dont deviate too much or it sends beam ....high ..low left , right.
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

So....

...you are talking about the mounting plate with the locking bar?

So I can adjust that plate up and down.

I understand that.

But, what I don't get is, that is raising and lowering the locking bar, but how does that get the locking bar to seat deeper into the bottom of the headlight? Does the headlight push up against the fender and that allows you to raise the plate and its locking bar relative to the height of the headlight?

Is it that simple?

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:02 AM   #5

Sounds to me (and I'm no expert, but I did have my headlights out to clean under them) that you don't have the driver side headlight seated down into the tracks of the mounting plate. Your symptoms sound like it is sitting above the mounting plate. I would try pulling the headlight all the way out, and sliding it back into the tray making sure it's down into the tracks.

Again, not an expert, but that is what I would look at...

Please let us know what you find out...
Old 12-22-2016, 04:27 AM   #6
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

It's in the tracks....

...Thanks, Birddog, I checked every damn time and all four sliders are in their tracks.

I'm not kidding, I fought this for three hours yesterday.

Like I posted, when I unlocked the headlamp, it did not POP with the same authority as the other side one did.

I don't think it has ever been removed, so I gotta believe it was loose before I even removed it the first time.

I'm going to hit it a first light today and my mission today is to get this resolved before sundown.

The passenger side went "by the book".
Old 12-22-2016, 06:37 AM   #7

Aside from obvious... ensure you are turning locking bars as mirror image to each other for engaging. If using tool-kit tool I suggest trying instead w/ a real 5mm nut driver or socket w/ extension. Also make sure your locking bar ends or tool are not stripped.

Sure, airflow at speed should keep unit it place but what happens when you brake hard suddenly

Once you examine the bottom of headlight it'll make more sense how the locking bar engages and retains them in the fender.

Good luck
Old 12-22-2016, 07:57 AM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
This might be obvious, but did you push the headlamp in as far as you could and apply pressure as you locked the lever? I only ask cause there are some instructions on the net that tell you to leave a little space between the back of the headlamp and fender before locking the lever. That doesn't work. Check also if the area where the locking bar touches the headlamp is worn.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #9
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Checked all of that...

Yep, the headlight fits perfectly. It is absolutely in place. I can feel the locking bar lock and see is pull the headlight back.

It just doesn't "POP" and lock securely.

It's a "soft" lock.

About to head out there and tackle it again.

Thanks, gang.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Happy Days are here again!!!

Thanks to all of you in this forum!!!

And thank YOU, Burg Boxster!!!!!!

Wow. Fixed in thirty seconds.

After reading that many folks had to bust out a 5mm socket instead of the tool kit tool, I tried that.

POP!

Perfect lock.

Wow.

I was doing nothing wrong. The OEM tool was at fault. Worked just fine on the other side. Wow.

After a year and a half of ownership I still keep discovering quirks about this Porsche.

Thank you everybody!!!!!

:c heers:
Old 03-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #11

What if the bar is stripped? Do I need to replace the headlight mounting plate? Thx

What if the bar is stripped? Do I need to replace the headlight mounting plate? Thx
sfiorellino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:34 AM   #12
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
After reading that many folks had to bust out a 5mm socket instead of the tool kit tool, I tried that.
I had the same issue. The supplied tool is a less than perfect fit but a decent 5mm socket is more precise and provides a snugger fit. I now keep a socket with my tools in the car cause ya never know when you’ll need it.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:41 AM   #13

The 5mm socket isn't the problem.

The 5mm socket isn't the problem. The bar that you turn inside the headlight assembly is stripped. Therefore I may need to replace the plastic headlight mounting plate that the headlight slides into. The headlight clamp is attached to the mounting plate which is what is stripped.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:56 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiorellino View Post
The 5mm socket isn't the problem. The bar that you turn inside the headlight assembly is stripped. Therefore I may need to replace the plastic headlight mounting plate that the headlight slides into. The headlight clamp is attached to the mounting plate which is what is stripped.
It isn't necessary to replace the whole plate. The 'clamping bow' is available as a separate item.

This is from the PET

996 631 243 00 clamping bow
Old 03-25-2020, 08:08 AM   #15

Garage
Here is the page from the PET
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Headlamp Assy.pdf (179.4 KB, 126 views)
Old 03-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #16

Thanks for your help Paulofto!

Thanks for your help Paulofto!

Now I'm hoping for any youtube instructions on how to change the clamping bow. Not sure if I have to remove the existing mounting plate to replace the clamping bow or if I can take out the bow by itself which may not be possible.