Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #1

Which light (high/low beam) is used for the daytime light

Does anyone know which light (high beam or low beam) is used for the daytime light?

Took some time to tinker with the Boxster this weekend. In particular the headlights. Wow, after I popped one out I was so excited I took it inside to show my wife “look the whole thing comes out so easy, how cool is that?!” she of course entertained my exuberance with a nod and a smile one of those looks that say “that’s nice dear…”

Guess I forgot to test if the daytime lights were functional yesterday, but I figured if the low beams and the high beams still worked, that the daytime setting would also. But when I looked this morning only the passenger side daytime light setting was on. It’s been raining all day (hence my turning on the daytime lights) so I’m not going out to see, which light (high beam or low beam) is used for the daytime light? And are there any other thoughts about why this is happening?

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #2

I appreciate your wifey problem. I learned long ago not discuss the cool car tricks with my wife. Of course, that cool feature of removing the headlights also makes them easy to steal.

As to the high beam/low beam. I read your post several times and admit I'm a bit confused. What's a "passenger side daytime light" setting?

Here's how the lights work. One click to the right is daytime lights (very low headlights and running lights). One more click right turns on the headlights (low or high depending upon whether you previously had turned on high beams using the left stalk). Pull out once and you get the front fogs. One more pull and you get the rear fog (I believe it turns the rear driver side brake light to on).

Did that answer your question?

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #3

Sorry for the confusion... position 1 on the switch, only the passenger side headlight illuminates.

p.s. the wie is actually prety cool with my car antics, I got her hooked on autocross. But if it don't make the car faster or handle better she is not interested

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
Old 06-14-2006, 06:03 PM   #4

Never mind, had time to take another look at the lights. There is a third light in addition to the low and the high beam bulbs which is the bulb for what I call the "daytime" lights aka what is illuminated when the switch is in position 1. Missed it in the owners manual because they label it as the "Front Parking Light" (W5W bulb).